900 Turbo SE Convertible 93 Heartache

Hi friends of the trolls...

I've driven Saabs my whole life. I bought my current one from my business partner in my last business (failed) and I've had 2 difficulties with it which I'd love to figure out. Specifically 2 things plague me.

1) Lately at high speed I lose power and the Check engine light comes on. (My mechanic thinks I need a higher power alternator (Bosch 160?) to handle the Soundstream Aplifier and big subwoofer & Boston Accoustic Seperates. It's no coincidence that I drive faster with the music turned up, but it may be a coincidence that the power failure I'm experienceing happens when the music is turned up.

2) I've occasionally lost power at lower speeds, with the power steering dying etc, I thought it might be a moisture problem because it happened when it was raining outside. I've replaced a couple batteries to no avail. Most recently I might have fixed this... The main hose supplying air to the engine was loose and nearly falling off. I'm hoping this was the 2nd issue's cause.

I love this car (It's black ouside, tan inside with black top and less than 50,000 miles.) Still I'd be open to trading for a red 92 or 93 with black in similarly great shape. Mostly I'd like a car without the memories of my last failed business. Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there!

Thanks!

Reply to
LS

More info!

When you say you loose power, what *exactly* do you mean? Does the engine cut out? Does it stutter? Does it run smooth but be unable to accelerate?

Reply to
Grunff

Actually, the engine stuttered... And the car seemed to have difficulty delivering fuel to the engine... More pedal requred to get less power... It seems on talking to my mechanic that two very large soundstream amps are drawing too much power for the alternator to keep up. The battery is not maintaining enough "cold cranking amps" to sufficiently run the fuel pump at high speeds and charge the battery? This is his theory at least, which means we're going to put in a Bosch 115 Amp alternator.

I asked if there was anything higher because I'd like to add some additional electrical equipment, but he is reticent to do so for fear of damaging or burning out things like lights ? (hmmmm.) I am also considering upgrading my fuel injectors, and associated parts (Pressure Regulator, etc?)

after reading this:

Between 1985-1993, SAAB 900/9000s used the BOSCH LH fuel injection system to perform the task of delivering an accurate dose of fuel at the car's engine. The fuel injectors used were selected based on the modest power rating of the OEM engine and are not capable of delivering enough fuel to support high output applications. The rising rate regulator (above) is normally used when combating this fuel dilemma but, due to the small nozzle size, serious limitations arise when attempting to obtain an engine output over 200 bhp. At this point, a simple calculation will reveal the need for a minimum rate of

27 lbs/hr of fuel per cylinder ...anything less will not be working at optimum efficiency! This is compounded by the fact that your original injectors (21lb/hr OEM turbo OG900) may not be performing up to par due to the mileage incurred on them. All of these factors lead the SAAB tuner towards a fuel injector upgrade.

Any expert opinions on these Saab Performance Parts guys? Are they the old Group 9 guys?

Thanks, Griff

Reply to
LS