9000 ignition switch

1996 9000 Aero manual. I am getting occasional trouble with the ignition not switching on, and lighting up the instruments, and therefore not starting, although the engines turns over well. I assume it is the switch giving trouble. Can one get into the switch to clean it up, or does one just replace it?
Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

the switch on my '96 9000 died without warning leaving me stranded. I guess some switch cleaner may work for a while, but you may be on borrowed time! When mine died the symptoms were like when you forget to deactivate the immobiliser, which fooled me for a minute or two!

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

I had to replace the ignition switch in my GM900 and I am wondering if GM/Saab uses a "univeral" or common ignition switch in many Saabs and GM models. This makes financial sense, lower cost per unit, and sell more units when they fail.

Reply to
ma_twain

Yes and yes. They are cheap enough so that by the time you take it out fiddle around with it you are better off replacing the switch (just the electric part) and be done with it

Reply to
Malt_Hound