Faulty ignition switch in hot weather

My 1996 Passat Turbodiesel has recently started misbehaving in hot weather, in that it is difficult to start simply because I cannot get the starter motor to operate. I have always got it going eventually by turning the key very hard and jiggling it about a bit until it fires, but it is getting worse and I need to fix it. I also noticed the other day that the radio stayed on for about 30 seconds after I took the key out, rather than switching off immediately.

It's a bit of a mystery - presumably some electrical contact inside the switch is expanding with the heat and causing the problems. Has anyone else met this before?

Question is - what do I need to replace. I have a workshop manual and I am a bit confused by their diagram and description.

German, Swedish and French do an ignition switch (is it still called this for a diesel?) for £10+vat. Is this what I need?

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish