92 900S rough at 3000 rpm

Greetings fellow Saab'ers.

I have a problem that I would like to get some advice on.

I have a 92 900S 16v with 86K on the clock. It is an awesomely fun car to drive - which I do daily.

Just this past week, I noticed that when I try and run at a constant speed and the engine is turning over at

3000 RPM, the engine acts as though is caught in a mini-accelerate - decelerate cycle. Moving the engine RPM's up or down 200RPM causes the engine to run smoothly. I have no hesitations when accelerating through 3000 RPM, only when running at 3000 RPMs.

I am befuddled. I am running some STP fuel injector cleaner through this tank and will see if that changes anything.

Has anyone ever seen this issue. If you have, what did you need to do to correct it?

Thank you.

John Atlanta, GA

92 900S (my first Saab)
Reply to
John Anderson

LanceM

{snip}

Is this an manual or auto? I have a similar issue w/a 91 900S 5spd (also LH 2.4.2), that has been to two master Saab techs w/o resolve. I'm attempting DIY. I can provide some suggestions, pending if you want to DIY and/or what tools you have

Have you checked your Throttle Position Sensor for drop-out?

Lance

--------- It is a 5-speed.

I am fairly competent around an auto - I don't have any special tools (exepct for the gearshift housing tool) for the SAAB.

How do you check the Throttle Position Sensor for drop-out?

Regards, John

Reply to
John Anderson

You'll need something like a multimeter to measure resistance. Remove TPS conn harness at TB. One probe on terminal 1, other on terminal 3 (of TPS itself, not the wiring). Completely open or close the throttle _very slowly_. Should see continuously variable ~1100 - 3000 ohms resistance, w/o any drop-outs.

Can more definitively ck voltage: steady power, variable signal, and ground at TPS and ECU, w/an oscilloscope (above is fairly good, tho)

Alternatively, can get another TPS new or used (Bosch PN is on TPS, and the exact same part is used on _lots_ of early 90s imports)

Bentley service manual highly recommended for DIY

Lance

Reply to
LanceM

Thank you.

I have the Bentley and will be investigating this week. I will post results.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Anderson

Well, I metered across 1`& 3 on the TPS and have zero conductance until you reach 1/2-way - then between 2300 & 3000 ohms. It looks like time for a new TPS.

Any recommendations for a source? I see that eEuroparts has it for $34.99 and allsaabparts.com has it for 38.

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John Anderson