96 9000 CSE Automatic Transmission

Looking for general consensus on average life of auto trans on this 96 9000 CSE turbo 4. Ours has 116k, and trans pump has been loud for 60k, but still going strong, just worried of expense when it does give up, and if worth the expense to replace. All help and opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Chuck.

Reply to
Chuck Grospitch

I had a 1993 9000 CSE auto and got panicky after hearing tales of auto transmission failure at around 120K miles. The box showed no symptoms of failure, and the car kept going well until I sold it with well over 120K miles on the clock over 6 years ago. I saw it still on the road only a couple of days ago funnily enough. Whether it still has the same 'box is another matter, but I suspect that replacing the box on a vehicle that age ('93) might not make economic sense. After I'd sold it I was talking to the service manager at my local dealer, and in his experience most of the 120K failures tended to be on the FPT models - particularly if they have been driven hard. My car was an ordinary

2-litre injection model (very underpowered in auto form), and in his opinion the life of the box may be well in excess of 120K if it's maintained properly. The service history of the car and what sort of life it has had must also come into play with the auto box. Skipped fluid changes, lumps of muck floating around in the system, and copious use of the loud pedal all contribute to wear in the box of course. I'm not sure whether this helps, or serves to add to the dilemma!
Reply to
Pidgeonpost