'97 900 SE Turbo - Brake light problem

I'm hoping someone here may know how to troubleshoot this.
When I started the car the other morning, the "Brake Light Failure"
message came up. I immediately drove to Kragen's and bought new bulbs. Replacing the bulbs didn't fix the problem. So I replaced the fuse. Didn't fix it. So I backed up to the store's glass windows and stepped on the brakes. In the reflection, I could clearly see that the driver's side brake light was on all the time, the passenger's side only when I stepped on the brake.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did you fix it?
Many thanks!
- Chris (who doesn't have time to take it to a shop)
Sounds like it might be an earthing problem. Check the rear loom around the boot to check that the points at which it is earthed by connection to the body/chassis are good and not corroded.
Peter.

Will do - Thanks Peter!
No problem, good luck!

Peter Bennett wrote:

Worth looking at the wiring diagrams in Haynes to see how logically a brake lights can be on all the time. Maybe a relay or something.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:09:10 +0100, johannes

I don't have a diagram handy, but on this year I think anything that requires a "relay" is shuttled through the ICE unit (and you won't find a relay). Brake lights might be an exception.
For the OP - see Amazon.com if you are in the USA, look for a Haynes manual. You won't find them many places as they have to be imported from Europe.

Richard & Mary Sutherland-Smith
19 Webb Road, Wanganui 4500, NZ

Brake switch - purple - to 43 on TWICE 1 on TWICE - yellow/white - to R brake light 24 on TWICE - to high level brake light 25 on TWICE - blue/orange and orange/blue? - to L brake light Blacks to earth E8, below left hand A-post.
--

Richard Sutherland-Smith
Wanganui 4500, NZ