97 SE T Convert

Also a Saab Newbie

Just purchased a 97 900 SE Turbo Convertible for Mrs. to drive. Red w/cream leather interior and black top. 80K miles and new clutch etc done 5k ago. Very interested in keeping this beauty running a long time. Any quick things to check out mechanically?

THanks

Matt

Reply to
Emmy Dubbs

Matt,

No, nothing in particular. You can get a feel for what people say about these cars here:

If it were me, I would just do all of the items in the next (90k) major service list. They typically are done on the 30's (30k, 60k,

90k...) but since you don't really know exactly when or what was done prior, it is worth the expense, in my mind, to start from a clean slate, so to speak.

BTW, I am particularly fond those colors. Red w/a tan interior is sharp!! I know, my toy car (Z3 roadster) is the same. Just make sure you steal it away from the Mrs. often, especially on those nice summer weekends!! Let her ride shot-gun. ;-)

Enjoy the car.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Congrats, I have the same car.

Change the upper idler pulley and serpentine belt unless it has been done. They tend to fail after 45-50K miles. The clutch cables tend to go at 50K or more but yours should be OK if the clutch was just done. If the DI cassette has not been replaced, I would consider buying one and keeping it in the truck. They go somewhere after 60K miles. You (or the wife) can learn to change it in 10 minutes with the Saab tools in the trunk in an emergency. Change the plugs every 10K and use the

*stock* plug. They are under $2 each and make a big difference.
Reply to
Bobo