97 Mustang Cobra Convertible

Hi All,

My wife and I bought her a new Mustang Cobra Convertible in 1997. It has been our third vehicle (all white Fords) and we only drive it on special occasions. It has been stored in our garage in Davis, CA and we have only put 18,000 miles on it. It is white w/white top and black leather interior. We are nearing retirement and plan on RVing a lot so we think we want to sell this car. High blue book is $17,500 and we would like to sell it for $16,500. It is like a new car and is very fast when need be. I can give anyone more details if needed.

There are almost no choices when buying a 1997 Cobra Convertible. They are all 5 speed manual. Mostly they had about 3 colors to choose from that year.

About the only thing that is standard Mustang is the body. The engine (300+hp), clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension and brakes (large) are all SVT Cobra.

email me: snipped-for-privacy@kiene.com

or call me M-F noon to 6pm pst 800/400-0359

Reply to
Bill Kiene

Sounds like quite a nice car.

The only notes that I can add are that the used car market has really dropped out, and what was a $17k used car is now worth about $11. I hope you get your asking price, but around here (SW PA), that'd be pretty hard to do.

Another note - being the owner of a 1997 Mustang Cobra, most of the car is actually standard Mustang fare. The only body changes are the hood and front clip (including the headlights), everything else body-wise and interior-wise can be had on a V6 model. The suspension is only very slightly different (not nearly as serious as I'd hoped it would be), the rear end and transmission (which is known to be weak) are identical to the GT model of the same year. The engine is definately diferent, and the brakes are much larger than a GTs.

Good luck,

JS

Reply to
JS

The interior is different - the Cobra has full leather seats, while the other models have just leather seating areas

Reply to
Mort Guffman

If only you came around about 1-2 months ago saying this... I would have happily given you $16k for the car... but I decided that it'd be much more fun & educational to upgrade my 98 Mustang GT Coupe instead of buying an immediately powerful car (ie: Cobra). Good luck w/ it though... it sounds like a real beauty =).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Is that specific to the 97? The reason I ask, is my 98 had vinyl on parts of the seats... leather on the rest.

Kate

| >The only notes that I can add are that the used car market has really | >dropped out, and what was a $17k used car is now worth about $11. I hope | >you get your asking price, but around here (SW PA), that'd be pretty hard to | >do. | >

| >Another note - being the owner of a 1997 Mustang Cobra, most of the car is | >actually standard Mustang fare. The only body changes are the hood and | >front clip (including the headlights), everything else body-wise and | >interior-wise can be had on a V6 model. The suspension is only very | >slightly different (not nearly as serious as I'd hoped it would be), the | >rear end and transmission (which is known to be weak) are identical to the | >GT model of the same year. The engine is definately diferent, and the | >brakes are much larger than a GTs. | >

| >Good luck, | >

| >JS | >

| >> My wife and I bought her a new Mustang Cobra Convertible in 1997. It has | >> been our third vehicle (all white Fords) and we only drive it on special | >> occasions. It has been stored in our garage in Davis, CA and we have only | >> put 18,000 miles on it. It is white w/white top and black leather | >interior. | >> We are nearing retirement and plan on RVing a lot so we think we want to | >> sell this car. High blue book is $17,500 and we would like to sell it for | >> $16,500. It is like a new car and is very fast when need be. I can give | >> anyone more details if needed. | >>

| >> There are almost no choices when buying a 1997 Cobra Convertible. They are | >> all 5 speed manual. Mostly they had about 3 colors to choose from that | >year. | >>

| >> About the only thing that is standard Mustang is the body. The engine | >> (300+hp), clutch, transmission, rear end, suspension and brakes (large) | >are | >> all SVT Cobra. | >>

| >> email me: snipped-for-privacy@kiene.com | >>

| >> or call me M-F noon to 6pm pst 800/400-0359 | >>

| >> -- | >> Bill & Marilyn Kiene | >>

| >> Kiene's Fly Shop | >> Sacramento, CA | >>

| | The interior is different - the Cobra has full leather seats, while | the other models have just leather seating areas |

Reply to
SVTKate

That's odd - my 98 is all leather. I remember this was a selling point for the Cobra model. I have it all in writing somewhere, except since I moved all of my stuff is in boxes somewhere.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

'97's even GTs, with leather interiors have leather all-over.

Reply to
Brent P

A selling point to me (had I been in the market at the time) would be cloth seats. Hit a turn in the leather and unless you have a leather jacket on, you're giong to slide right out of the stock seats. I bought my '97 snake used, though, so I didn't have much choice.

I was looking at '03 Cobras and I explained to the sales drones that, should I buy one of the 10th anniversary Cobras, I wanted the non-anniversary seats installed. Not because I didn't like the red inset (which I actually did like), but the inset was a normal leather, whereas on the non-anniversary cars, the inset was suede, which holds you in the seat better.

I actually only think leather looks better - it lacks all function in my opinion. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, you slide out of it (even with the "bolsters" they tried to incorporate into it). The only leather seats I've ever liked were in my '91 Super Coupe. The bolsters inflated towards you and stuck out far enough to feel like a racing seat. Comfort with function.

JS

Reply to
JS

I bought a new expensive black leather recliner because it looked sexy and now still like the old clothe one better.

Reply to
Bill Kiene