airbag for 93 9000CSET

Laura,

I definitely do not want to appear to be "picking on you" or anything like that, but your two situations support my position precisely. I also know that I am over simplifying this, but just trying to make the point that all "accidents" are avoidable.

In the first, you did not see the errant driver (until too late I imagine) because the street was busy. If the street was that busy were you moving at an appropriate speed for the circumstances? And I don't just mean relative to the speed limit. An appropriate speed would be one at which you have enough time to see and react to all of the possible problems.

In the second (again in heavy traffic), you point out the trap that we all tend to fall into. We can't leave an opening (an escape route) because some jamoke will jump in and fill it. I see this all the time. Unfortunately it is human nature to then "retaliate" by leaving too small of an opening for those miscreants to move in. But the irony is that by doing this you are only putting yourself in jeopardy, not the miscreants.

What is the downside to just backing off again? I know, you won't make good speed and get to where you are going quick enough. I think more bad things happen because we are all in such a rush than for any other single reason.

Leaving an escape route isn't just about staying 3-4 seconds back from the car in front. It's also about intentionally leaving openings in the adjacent lanes to allow evasive moves in a lateral direction too.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Malt_Hound wrote in news:z56dnX0O_oCvkO snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Are you usually the only car on the road? I live in a city. On the interstate through downtown, particularly at rush hour, any openings between cars are quickly filled by other cars or by someone who thinks they can get somewhere faster by weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating the person in front of them. I would like to leave gaps, but there aren't any. When I got hit, I was traveling at 20 mph in a school zone. Any slower and I would have been rearended by the car behind me. Some accidents cannot be avoided no matter how careful you are because it depends on everyone else driving in a sane manner and that just does not happen. The two accidents were the first I've had in 25 years -- and hundreds of thousands of miles of driving. I don't think it's a coincidence that both involved cell phone users.

Reply to
Laura K

You are right, I don't drive in the city if I can at all avoid it. I used to drive in Boston all the time for work, and that is a much bigger challenge. I agree that driving while using the cell phone is one of the biggest hazards out there.

My advice to avoid those bad situations? Move out of the city! Life is far more enjoyable out here in the boonies! ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound