airbag for 93 9000CSET

My mechanic tells me I need a new airbag for $1100.!!!!! And it's illegal here in the US to buy or sell a used one. Is there any way around that? Yes, I'm willing to take my chances as a hardened criminal. Is it difficult to install?

Reply to
seog

If you screw up, you can die, either during screwing up when it blows up with you right in it's face, or later when it doesn't perform as it should. Also, the reason it's illegal to buy a used one is because you don't have a history on the unit, _and_, I expect, to discourage people from digging them out of cars along the street. Bad enough they take our lights, isn't it?

There are times to cheap out, and there are times to do it right. This is not one of the times to bargain-hunt.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Is it really?

Why is it I can find listings upon listings of airbags in

Depending on makes, normally you should disconnect the battery before doing anything to it. If your SRS light blinks or is on afterwards, have it reset by a dealer or an indy.

But what is the symptom on your 9k?

Reply to
yaofeng

Blinking SRS light. My mech. reset it and it came on again in a few weeks. He's the one that told me used airbags are illegal. Great site. I guess they don't enforce it real well. I wonder if a late model 96-98 airbag would fit. I am NOT putting $1100. into a car with 170k. A used airbag is better than no airbag.

Reply to
seog

Don't rush to throw money at the problem. My understanding is airbag rarely goes bad. How's your battery? If your battery is old, low voltage can trigger the SRS.

Reply to
yaofeng

Interesting you should say that. My voltage display has been showing ~9.9 where it used to show 13.x but the mech. tested the battery and it was normal.

Natural Light Black and White Photography

seog

I have a theory, if you wear your seatbelt, you don't really need an front airbag.

Airbags were used because people refused to wear seat belts and the car companies were looking for a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). It is not a Primary Restraint System (seatbelt).

Reply to
ma_twain

I think that's largely true. But at the same time, in a collision where the car is getting compacted from the front, the steering wheel and dashboard could easily intrude on the driver's personal space regardless of seatbelt use. The airbag provides a large, soft buffer to prevent the steering wheel and dashboard from causing injury to the head and chest.

John

Reply to
John B

Incorrect theory. Airbags are only useful when used in conjunction with a primary restraint system (read seatbelt). An airbag by itself is practically useless.

But I have a better and irrefutable one. If one never gets in collisions (note that I did not use the term accident, since it seldom is one) they need neither a seatbelt nor an airbag.

Reply to
Malt_Hound
9.9 volt constant? That can't be right. If it is 9.9 volt constant, you can't keep the SRS light not blinking. That's too low.
Reply to
yaofeng

I have another theory. People who drive and think they'll never get in an accident (sorry, collision) and eat greaseburgers everyday and think they won't get a heart attack and smoke and think they won't get cancer are in denial.

Reply to
seog

9.x (varies) at startup. After that I don't pay much attention but I wll from now on. Maybe the display is bad.
Reply to
seog

Its more interesting than that. An airbag can also possibly kill you (especially in the US). Airbags were indeed designed as a supplementary restraint to be used in conjunction with seat belts. However, in the US seat belt use is not/was not mandated by law, which meant that the calibration and violence of the airbag deployment is different.

In countries where seat belt installation and useage is mandated by law airbags are safer.

Reply to
ShazWozza

I thought the display deliberately 'held' the cranking voltage so as to make battery deterioration more apparent.

If you cycle the display back to voltage I rather think you'll find the voltage is more normal once the engine is running.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In recent years I have twice been reversed into !

Try and dodge that one !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No, that isn't how the voltage display works on the 9000 onboard displays.

If you look at the voltage display on the onboard display before you start the car it will show the voltage charge of the battery.

When you first start the car the display then shows the minimum voltage it measured during cranking. That would be your 9.x volts.

If you then cycle through the info available and come back to voltage you will see the "running" voltage that is being output from the alternator while charging the battery.

I don't east cheeseburgers (very often), smoke only cigars and I have not had been involved in an automobile collision in 30 years. Oh... and I am not in denial.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That is what the noise maker we call the "horn" is for.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I don't you have a cite to back up what seems pretty unlikely, do you?

So the part numbers are different then, are they?

Reply to
Dave Hinz
9.x volt at start up is normal. After starting the car voltage should be above 13 volts. Below 13 volts you have great potential of triggering the SRS if it has not happened already. A sudden increase in load before the electrical system has time to respond will trigger the SRS light and makes it blinking. At least that has been my experience.

You did not say how old is the battery.

Reply to
yaofeng

"seog" wrote in news:Wkebf.2907$SV1.2643@trndny01:

Fully agree. I've been in two collisions in the last year. Both were caused by the other driver (one ran a stop sign and plowed into me, the other one pulled into my lane on top of me on the Interstate, both were yapping on cell phones) and would have been a lot worse for me without the Saab's ability to get out of the way. I drive like everyone else out there is a raving lunatic. I'd be in a lot more collisions if I didn't drive that way.

Reply to
Laura K