Bit of a surprise...

...we've been running a VW Golf MKIII alongside our 9000 (2.3 LPT) for some years, and have been considering getting a newer Golf - possibly one of the GT TDi's which gives good performance and fuel economy. Now I've always thought that the 9K, which is usually considered to be 'a large car', was a big lump at around 1345 kilos, so I was surprised to see that the Golf MKV

2-litre diesel tips the scales at around 1450 kilos! I know the diesel engine is heavier than the petrol one, but was still surprised to find the Golf the heavier of the two. Amazing how vehicle weights have crept up I guess - what with air-bags, impact protection ironmongery etc. Still planning to keep the 9K at present though...
Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Saabs are surprisingly light for what you get. My 9-3 5dr weighs in at

3100Lbs (1860Kilos?) which is realllllly light. The 4 cylinder engine helps as well. I believe it is one of the reasons Saabs get such superior milage. I can't think of another car that routinely gets 30mpg with 260 ft/lbs of torque. Even with city driving it rarely drops below 26 (except in Florida)...Even a Subaru WRX STI weighs in at 3351Lbs (2010K).
Reply to
WitchDr

3100 lbs is 1409 kilos and 3351 lbs is 1523 kilos. I didn't realize they were so heavy, my Volvos, which I've always thought felt like immense battle tanks weigh in at 2950 lbs and 3100 lbs.
Reply to
James Sweet

That's because the older volvo's *are* battle tanks! Just like the C900's but bigger. lol

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

The Rolls Royce Phantom weighs 2495 Kg. But this is remarkable light weight for such an incredible hulk of a car. It's 5.8m long and 1.99m wide and has a 6.7L V12 and all gadgets fitted known to man. I've seen one on the street, it's the size of a small bus. Then consider that volume and mass grows as cube of size. The done by using an aluminium space frame for the body.

Reply to
Johannes