Burnout seat-heating

The heating of the driver seat of my Saab 9-3 Aero has been burn-out. Who had a similar problem or can give me an answer on the next questions:

  1. Are there more malfunction known of a seat-heating from Saabs 9-3?
  2. Has there ever been fire by a malfunction of a seat-heating?
  3. Is the seat-heating on the passenger chair save?
  4. Is the malfunction a construction ore connection error?
  5. Has Saab given a recall? Supplementary information: Car type: Saab 9-3 2.0 Turbo S Automatic (Aero). Manufactured: 2000. Kilometres: 126.800 km.

Please send me a e-mail. Hans Lindeboom snipped-for-privacy@planet.nl

Reply to
Lindetree

Unless you live where it is cold all of the time, most heat seat elements to do burn out. The most common cause of the seat heater failure is mechanical - broken element or a connection issue. If the car was serviced before it stopped working, I would look for a connector that is loose or not connected at all. Once that is verified, assuming you have checked the fuse, see if current is reaching the connector. Then check the continuity of the element itself. A very common method of breaking the element is to kneel on the seat - it was not designed to take that much pressure on that small an area. Most peoples' bottoms are much bigger than their knee cap and distributes the weight over a much larger area.

If you have a c> The heating of the driver seat of my Saab 9-3 Aero has been burn-out.

Reply to
ma_twain

Not only 9-3, also from the 95 and 96 on this is a problem.

Not that I've heard of. Usually the heater wire breaks at the thermostat in the seat, then there's no more current, no heat and no fire. Also, it is only 45 Watt or so over a large area. If a power wire to the seat would somehow make a short the fuse would blow.

I suppose just as safe as the driver side. It would probably only switch on if there's actually weight in the seat, like the fasten seat belt light.

It comes with the age of the car. Conrad

) has genericreplacement elements for EUR 103.You may also want to ask at
MH

Reply to
MH

In past days of Saab 900's there was stories of fires. There was a quite a writeup in a SAAB newsletter once, about a guy jumping out of the car with his hind end smoking! Back in those days there was no switch, right?

Here's a question for you ... is a seat with a broken seat heater colder than one without a seat heater ever been designed in? Guess I could sit in the back seat some morning and find out.

-meld

MH wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

I think a seat with a broken heater is just as cold as a seat without seat heater.

My '77 96 has a working seat heater and it feels OK, the 78 95 seat heater is broken and it feels cold.

-------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 96 '79 96

MH