C900 Rear Wash Wipe

Grrrr. Stopped working, just when I finally get the wash fluid pumping through the wiper goes flaky!

I hit the button on the dash and the wiper swings up across the screen but wont come back. There is a whirring noise coming from the unit. If I get out and push it (the wiper that is!) it will travel back to the rest position.

My guess is something in the gear arrangement inside the unit is stripped, broken or hopefully just come loose.

My beloved Bentley manual is silent on the rear wash wiper as far as I can see. Anyone got any tips for removal and dismantling please?

I tried phoning a guy on ebay about this item:-

As it has a spare unit. But he wants £200!! I think I can manage without if it comes to that!

Al

Reply to
Al

in article CObXg.109816$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 11/10/2006 20:42:

Ah mate, bad news. Sorry I can't help, but I know Aeromotive will have a nice covering plug if you want to remove it :) I'm going the other way ... From no wiper to having one ... If I can find a mechanism at a reasonable cost :(

Good luck with your search. Have you tried UK SAABs? There is certainly one person having a parts clear out at the moment. You might get lucky. Drop a wanted on and see how you go.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article CObXg.109816$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 11/10/2006 20:42:

Actually, at that price I might have a more suitable alternative. On Canal Road in Bradford (the A650 ... You know ... From Wakefield), past Khan's Alloys (where the two Rolls Royce Phantoms are parked up :) ) on the left just before the 4x4 Centre and Arnold Laver warehouse, there's a back street garage that does tyres and another that does stainless exhausts. One or the other of them is selling a J reg 900i in green (five door) no bodykit, but it has a rear wiper. They want 395 quid for it.

Remove the mechanism and re-sell the car :) It's a good'un with very nice, well kept velour interior. Nothing at all special about the car, but it is a good runner. I had a look over it for a friend.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Nice, Aeromotive had one but it wasn't working either.

I was hoping someone out there might know how easy/difficult they are to disassemble?

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

Older Ford Tauruses (Tauresi??) have a similar style rear windshield wiper (through the glass.) You might want to try using one of those units from a junker.

JB

Al wrote:

Jeremy

Jeremy, I guess I should have said I was UK based and Ford Taurus are less readily available in the UK than Saab 900's! To be honest I was looking for anyone who may have taken one apart. i.e. does it fall to a hundred springs and cogs the moment you take the cover off or is it relatively simple inside the box.

Cheers

Al

Al

While you're at it, you could tell us what a "C900" is. . .

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

It's been used on this group a few million times to mean "classic 900".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sorry - not here all that often. I was thinking "cabrio" which really complicates the rear wiper issue!

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

in article egv44u$1abr$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net, Greg Farris at snipped-for-privacy@nasa.org wrote on 16/10/2006 06:08:

Sometimes, a 900C is referred to, which was a badging for (late) carburetted C900s. So I suppose that is a C900C :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Rear wash wipe on a ragtop would be complicated I'll give you that!

Al

Reply to
Al

We have to be carefule on these "rear-wiping" threads - things could easily degrade!

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Quick update:-

It just started working again, so I never even got round to trying to take it apart. Though it didn't look that difficult from the outside.

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

in article snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 11/11/2006 12:38:

Yay! Is it the torrential rain we're having that's completed the ground? :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

If only it were that simple! Arm was travelling to top and stopping there, but you could still hear the motor running and a push on the blade would assist it's travel back down. Phil suggested a bad connection, but I'm not convinced. Having said that, I'm a Highway Structures engineer not a motor mechanic! I'll take it apart when it fails completely....

Reply to
Al