Car gone in for new tensioner and chain.

Today I took my T16 in for a Tensioner update (old style single bolt to new style doube bolt). I'm getting the chain done at the same time, as the second hand tensioner, plus a new top guide, and rocker gasket, and the passenger side front wheel bearing (drivers side was done about 4 months ago).

Got a loan car. 9k CDE, K reg (1992/1993 I think that is) 156k miles cloth interior.

Such a nice drive. So different to the 900, yet feels so right. Plenty of go for a non turbo.

Gear change is worlds away from my 900, and the pedal feel so short and smooth. I guess then my 900 does finally turn up it's toes (hope fully not for a few years with what I'm spending on it) a nice 9k Aero with all the toys will be in order.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Well, they couldn't do the wheel bearing, because the metal work below the bushes was ripping when they tried unload the wish bone, to seperate the ball joint. But he reckoned that it would be fine until Xmas when I get my new Holiday entitlement.

They did the cam chain, and since they have sorted the timing at the same time, it will now boost and hold at the border line orange/red even in fifth, and that is on Sainsbury's 95 ron Premium. Wonder what it would do on Super, or Optimax, or if the local stations get it, BP Ultimate (100 Ron).

Also, I think the gear shift must have been tweaked a little bit. Before, the lever would jiggle about, under engine braking and accelaeration, and it would pop out in 1,2, and occasionally 3. Now the lever is almost rock solid, and it didn't pop out once, and 3rd is easier to engage. Must have been something loose, rather than replaced, because whatever they did, they didn't charge for it.

The Behemoth goes like a rocket ship now, and while I didn't break the speed limit, I left a Beamer 325 for dead earlier on a twisty National speed limit road coming home. And he wasn't just sitting behind.

Whoohoo. The 9k can wait. this one is getting some work done.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Oooh - nasty. Never seen that before. What did they use as a spacer? Something very sharp??

Superb, sounds good.

Yeah, that happens.

9ks are great, but will never make you grin like a c900 will.
Reply to
Grunff

Well I did notice one side can't remember which had been flattened rather than having the arch on it before. It was trying to anchor the spacer that ripped the metal.

He recommended using a piece of 5mm square bar, and and then plating both side of it. Looks like both arches could do with the same treatment.

When Burnells did my last wheel bearing on the drivers side, they said that it looked like the old one had been hammered in judgeing by the marks on the hub (looks like one replaced had been butchered in, and maybe both had been done at the same time). Previous to my ownership the car had been maintained almost exclusively by SarbKar in Liverpool. The same people that just capped off the feed to the dump valve, rather than replacing it when it started to leak.

Wonder who else could have done the wheel bearings before, and made such a bugger of the job.

Oh it is. No rattle, idles much better, even when cold, just have the brake servo thing to sort, to stop it quacking. Goes like stink, gearbox even sounds quieter now, wonder if a mount was loose, and it was vibrating, and that was what was making the shift awkward too?

I want to spook the Boxster and M3 at work now. This will be fun.

Found out the 9k CDE I had was an 2.0 LPT, I thought CDE's where either

2.0 FPT, 2.3 FPT or 2.3 injection? Went well, a lot smoother than mine, but I imagine that they keep them in mechanical top notch, it had 159k on it.

The other loanwe that I was supposed have had no fuel in, it was a 9k XS, with 208k miles, looked in even better mechanical condition.

BTW, i was charged £217.14 for the new chain, a second hand new type tensioner to replace the old type one. A new top guide. A rocker cover gasket. And 2 hours labour.

Plus all the bonus tune up, and tidy work they seem to have done.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmmm...you really want something about 5mm thick bu 15mm wide,

5mm bar isn't that strong.

Hehe. There's plenty of places like that. Never mind, it's all small stuff.

All the 9ks I've driven have been smooth - they are very silky cars. But they're such a *bitch* to work on. I'm waiting for all the bad memories to subside before I buy the next one (for OH - she wants a 9k again, doesn't like her 16T as much as her old 9k).

Bargain - they must have rolled the chain in. Never tried that.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

I loved the gear shift. Short, with some weight, but sprung just right. That is the one thing that would make a 900 just perfect. I know you can get proper quick shifters, but I reckon it was the sprung centering that worked a treat.

Mine tried the 900, when I sliced my hand open, to get me to casualty, as I was blocking her in. She didn't like it, even when she had gotten used to driving it, she thought it was like a barge. I think she would have found a 9k much better, although she is only 5'2".

You mean with a split link, joining it to the old one, and running it through the timing sprockets, then joing the ends of the new one back up? I think that is the Abbott method that means they can do it easily with the engine in?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yup, exactly that. There's no way they could've done it for that price any other way.

Reply to
Grunff

I'll take some shots of how I welded up mine when I get chance, I think you'll like it ;-) Gimme a few weeks though as I'm a fair way away from it at the moment.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

In article , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

That would be great cheers.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

BTW, I had a quick nosey round the workshop while I was there waiting for the loaner. In for Restoration, along with a load of repair and spares 900's they had a Saab 92. Very pretty, nice looking old car that had seen a seriosly hard life by the looks of it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Reply to
Saabtech

The guys at the garage were using the proper Saab Spacer/Wedge, when the metal tore on him. he had explained what needs to be done to repair/brace and strengthen it, so he can go back to doing the wheel bearing.

He's checked it out. The bearing has just started to knock, rather than terminally gone, and should be OK, until I can get back to them to get it replaced.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

A case in point of me not engaging brain before pressing keys, and too much stella at the weekend

Reply to
Saabtech

You too, eh?

Reply to
Grunff

No worries about not getting things across.

That is exactley what has happened. the metal hs torn in places and broken away where it it had obviously been exposed and rusted somewhat.

Time for the re-inforcement.

No worries. I tend to find my weekend eveing are being consumed by consuming Absolut, or Absolut Citron.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo