Classic 900 - aluminum or steel/best tires for sport driving

That is, because you believe it is "open minded" to have no speed limit. There's only 1 reason. Germany's history as being a car manufacturing country and it's only the car manufacturers who are lobbying this. The politicians clearly do everything the indudtry wants. Nothing to do with open minds, which we almost do not have at all here. Hope that doesn't destroy your view of Germany. BTW, it's just a matter of time when we'll get a general speed limit as well. Talk is ongoing about this for quite a while now.

Besides that the non-speed limit is a reason to keep an additional eye on the safety of cars and roads. In some countries around Germany you know immediately by the state of the roads, why you can't go faster there. Take Belgium first.

Robanzello:

Bicycle!). The standard rear

robs too much power from the

resistor and put it into

And you have to have proper light at your bicycle... Depending on the cop you're facing he/she might be picky if he doesn't like your nose and you get in trouble ;)

I bought some nice cheap LED light for my bike from Europe outside Germany, because the LED bicycle light in Germany has to be approved which makes it incredibly expensive. For law's sake I have an additional regular german approved light/generator mounted to my bike... even if I don't use it.

These then are for sure tires that were fitted on a 9000. 205/55 should ride better anyway.

targa

No one, but the rules impose sometimes ridiculous limits on what bike shops can do for you. Also, if a cop stops you for some infraction, he can technically inspect the bike and fine you for not having a working light, bell, etc. A little bit ridiculous, but I find it a small price to pay considering the kind of civil rights abuses going on in many other countries.

Anyway, I just agreed to purchase a set of used 15" Saab Alu wheels mounted with 195/60 Michelins. I'm paying less than what two new tires would cost mounted. I'll report back if they don't work. Even then, I've got the wheels. Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

Standard choice... ok anyway. /To

Reply to
targa

Reporting back. I installed the new wheels yesterday and drove to Amsterdam from Cologne and back. There are a pair of Michelins 195/60 (sorry, I don't remember what) I stuck on the front, and a brand I don't know 185/65? on the back. The wheels are 15x6j. The difference in performance is astounding. I was doing 170km/hr with at least the stability I was getting at 150 before, and the engine seems to not have to work as hard. I would have gone even faster if my mom weren't in the car! So, I don't know why exactly, but this setup really works! Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

in article snipped-for-privacy@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com at snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote on

15/05/2007 22:29:

Hooray! That's a good result. I bet you'd love the wide track that the 7" width and offset gives. I did ... But I've got my summer wheels on now.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

You can't have different tyres on the front and on the back!!!! Michelins are quite soft. If you buy some decent Yokohamas you'll have an even more sporty feeling.

Between Amsterdam and Cologne ? Don't think there's a single tiny part where you can go more than 120 ?

Don't believe what you think.

/Tomas

Reply to
targa

Says who? As long as you have the same tires on each axle you should be fine.

Reply to
Fred W

But not snow tyres on the back! We have recently had a few bad accidents with Japanese imports that had these on the back and they have oversteered into accidents and death! The owners over here were unaware of the problem.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

I wouldn't try to mismatch front and back with radically different tires, but these seem close enough. The rears are called Rapidex R2 and have a treadwear rating of 160. They are about gone anyway. I'll replace them after the summer.

Are they? These are Michelin "Energy" and are actually on the loud side. I guess you mean they are soggy as far as feel. I can see that, but they are pretty new, and drive well. If I replace the Rapidexes with something good and put them on the front/Michelins rear, would that be a bad idea? Soggy tires on the back might create handling problems.

The A3 was pretty clear from the border down to Duesseldorf. I know this is unusual!

I did the A7 from Hamburg to Goettingen yesterday and was up to 190 some of the time. I had to brake really hard when a police! van pulled into the left lane suddenly. It wasn't a scary moment. Also, I'm getting decent gas mileage!

Thanks everyone for the useful knowledge Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

I wouldn't try to mismatch front and back with radically different tires, but these seem close enough. The rears are called Rapidex R2 and have a treadwear rating of 160. They are about gone anyway, I'll replace them after the summer.

Are they? These are Michelin "Energy" and are actually on the loud side. I guess you mean they are soggy as far as feel. I can see that, but they are pretty new, and drive well. If I replace the Rapidexes with something good and put them on the front/Michelins rear, would that be a bad idea?

The A3 was pretty clear from the border down to Duesseldorf. I know this is unusual!

I did the A7 from Hamburg to Goettingen yesterday and was up to 190 some of the time. I had to brake really hard when a police! van pulled into the left lane suddenly. Didn't have a scary moment.

[...]

Fred:

THE GERMAN GOVERNMENT where the car is registered!

Richard:

That on the opposite is allowed! But not adviseable ;)

Robanzello:

The thing is... it is not allowed in germany.

Robanzello:

Energy is the even softer version of the different Michelin types. You'll recognize them screeming easily when it's hot outside (>25=B0C). Having soft tyres doensn't mean that they're bad... It's just that they're more comfortable and less sporty (what you wanted to have). Keep the soft ones on the rear.

/Tomas

Reply to
targa

Are you trying to tell me that German law requires you have to have the exact same brand, model and size tire on all 4 corners?

I do not believe it.

We aren't talking about different *types* of tires, just different manufacturers. And BMW's M3 comes with different *size* tires front and back, called a staggered setup, so that is obviously allowed. Those are manufactured in Germany. You think they'd know about those laws, huh?

Reply to
Fred W

I dunno Fred, they might regulate it. They regulate bicycle lights over there and write tickets for violations.

Might be an issue of factory supplied setup vs. aftermarket.

Bob

Reply to
still me

No, we were talking about the tyre/rim size only. Brand/model you can have whatever you want unless it's all of the same type (tubeless, steel-belted that is usually)

I was talking about the sizes, because Robanzello said he has 205 on the rear and 195 on the front axle. That I said, is not allowed, didn't make clear what I meant.

You're right. It is possible if mentioned in the car registration. That would mean by manufacturer either of the car or of the rims that you buy aftermarket. Then you need to take your car to a special inspection which is hell expensive and still the car has to comply to lots of ECE/StVZO-laws. But you can't just change the tire size unless it's mentioned in the cars "Certification of Conformity". /To

Reply to
targa

Just to update, I hadn't read my registration carefully enough. Although it specifies 175/70-15, I am also allowed 185/65 or 195/60. I checked a bit more, and it turns out that if I have an accident, any unapproved modification will be used as grounds for the insurance company to deny payment. Some things, like a Recaro seat, are preapproved, and don't need an inspection. The wheels, although I bought them used, are original equipment. I do have a mismatch of tire sizes front and back. I plan to correct that immediately.

Funny, AFAICT, doing something stupid like running snow tires on the back and summer on the front is not specifically forbidden, as long as the size conforms. Also, you see lots of cars here with giant rims that barely clear the wheel wells. I imagine most of them have been approved, but I'm glad I won't have to go through that hassle.

Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

About the tires: I think it might be too hard to define what exactly is "different tires" or different types of tires, where as rim size is simply measurable..

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That is almost exactly what I'm trying to tell you all the time!!! /To

Reply to
targa