Recommended Tires for a 1998 Toyota Corolla?

What climate? Snow? How much snow, for how many months per year? Age of driver(s)? Do drivers venture out in most any kind of weather, or does rain keep them home?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There you go with the damn age thing again!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Ghislain

LOL! Look through the posts. If you dare. Seems our friend Joe is more concerned with people's ages as with anything esel. Perhaps more.

More to the point, any good quality tire will be more than sufficient. I am sure you know what you need for your driving needs more than anyone. What are the conditions that need to be met?

One of the best tires I ever had was a Delta Euro-Sport. My tire advisor looked at it and said "Traction tire". He wasn't kidding. No swapover needed. They lasted a long time to. I got them in the trunk of a car I bought for parts for another car.

The car they were mounted on was a Tercel. The tire plate recommended

155/80-13, or an option of 175/70-13. They were 185/60-13. Not only did they have excellent grip, and a quiet ride, but the also increased the handling of the car by leagues! It drove like it was on rails, and I ran out of engine long before I ran out of tire.

The problem is, there are so many options on tires you need to try to narrow it down to what meets your conditions. I don't buy all-season tires since some years we get overwhelmed with snow and ice, so I buy snow tires. I try to get an extra set of rims so I can do the take-offs myself. Depending on where you live, an all-season might be a good choice for you.

So, trying to dicern where you live and what road conditions are like year round makes a lot more sense than how old you are...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Round tires!

LOL liken response.

Reply to
Danny G.

Check out recommendations at tirerack.com.

Reply to
Ray O

Based on responses from two other people, you should shut your pie hole next time I ask ANY question, since you have demonstrated that you NEVER understand much of anything.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, I was in the process of trying to ANSWER the person's question.

Something to always seem to duck and run from...

Reply to
Aldo Nova

My comment was directed at Hach, not you!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Two things I don't like to mess with are tires and brakes. On one of my cars I have really cheap tires...$29 each. But, I am an experienced driver and the tires are brand new.

The couple times I have ventured into Used tires I got bit.

Any decent, modern tire will serve your purpose. It comes down to how harsh you want the ride to be, how noisy, and how much grip.

I go with harder tires over softer. Even though I have a couple of 'high performance' Japanese cars (Oxymoron?) I get a treadwear rating >300. I don't want to swap tires every 6 months. I drive a little 'spirited' but my Boy Racer days are long behind me and I have better things to put money into than tires.

Also look for load A and temp A. Again, these tires will be less 'stickier' but will last longer. Load A usually indicates a stiffer sidewall, so the ride will be harsher, but then again, you don't have a lot of worries about damage to the sidewall from curbs, etc.

If you're really concerned, there's one thing you can do to give yourself piece of mind that doesn't cost anything: inspect them. I walk around the car every time before I open the door and have a look, and at least once a month I get down on my hands and knees and inspect the inner wall for damage. After one of my experiences with used tires, I had an inner side wall swell to about the size of a grapefruit! I had just driven 30 miles at 65 MPH to have an alignment and balancing done, and the guy doing the balancing found the problem.

Also, after having the tires replaced (and the rims removed) 'spot check' the lug nuts after driving the car about 100 miles. This is another lesson I learned the hard way, after having a wheel fall off after having new tires installed (since then the tire store has equipped all their installers with torque wrenches...I think they were sweating bullets about being sued...I'm not like that. No harm done...) Either check them yourself or drive back to the shop and have them torque them again. And always insist they TORQUE them, with a torque wrench and not those air gun extension thingys! (On a Toyota, they use an extension on the end of the air gun, which is blue if I remember correctly...the color indicates the torque for different makes of cars).

Sorry if I got a bit long winded there, but these are things that are just as important to consider, or more, than what tire to use!

Reply to
Hach

That was me...on a different system.

Reply to
Hachiroku

As others explained to you, age WAS worth knowing about here.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why did you capitalize WAS?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Because for most of us, newsgroup messages are text only. You can't underline or italicize. Thanks for asking, though.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It is NOT in your style manual.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Style manuals do not cover computer issues.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You spend a LOT of time trying to convince us that they do....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You've never seen me do that. If you disagree, illustrate your point clearly, using examples from other messages.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

BINGO!!!!!!!

Reply to