Tires for '82 rabbit

My tires are *shot* and I need to replace them. I've got a set of snows I can use, so I'm not necessarily interested in all-seasons. Right now I have 185/70R13 on steel rims. There are a lot of options in this size. But I've also got a set of aluminum rims off an Audi that are

6Jx14H2, which I really like. What seems like a good size (195/55R14) given the old wheels and the 6" rim width, isn't offered by very many manufacturers.

Now, I'm not even sure these are the right sizes to be running. The steel rims came off my mk2 golf, and I'm doubtful as to their originality. The Audi rims came with my rabbit, but the tires were shot when I got it and I swapped the tires from a Ford Escort wagon, and they are definitely not the correct ones. I'd like to have the speedometer function properly, if I can.

And last, the car has been lowered, but only through necessity. I had to replace the suspension, and H&Rs were cheaper and easier than trying to find OEM. Boge struts. It might be an inch or two down, the

185/70R13s on it right now don't look to be rubbing at all.

Any suggestions for sizes? Trying to keep the speedo right and not rub.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

185/60-14 is the typical size used on the 14x6 wheels. Same diameter as the tires that were stock on a Rabbit (175/70-13, 155/80-13, etc). The 16v cars used a 205/55-14 which I don't think anyone makes anymore. I noticed a huge difference going from the stock 175/60-13s to the 185/60-14s. The tall sidewalls on the 13s squirm all over the place when cornering and squeel like a banshee. The shorter sidewalls on the 14s give a much more controlled feeling when cornering. The Audi rims should generally work as long as they are the right bolt pattern and offset. Some Audis were 4x100, others were 4x108. Standard VW offset on a 14" rim is 35 or 38mm. Offset is usually cast into the wheel somewhere, ET38 is 38mm offset, ET35 is 35mm, etc. I'm currently running Kuhmo Ecsta HP4 716 tires on my '87 Golf. Superb performance all-season tire. Not too noisy, good handling in the dry and wet and best of all, cheap. $39 + shipping from Tire Rack. I'm on my second set, the first set lasted 65,000 miles with regular rotating.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 260,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 533,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

Hmm they are definitely 4x100, but the offset is ET45. Does that mean they are 10mm further in or out? What kind of problems could this cause? It looks to my untrained eye that they sit further into the wheel well. I suppose this would be necessary when switching to a wider tire to keep it centered.

Thanks for the information, now I have to see if I can find someplace with tires I want or will mount/balance ones from Tire Rack. My friend is working at a place now ... hmmm ... :)

Reply to
Johann Koenig

they will fit in the front but will probably rub the springs on the rear. at least thats what happened on my 85 cabriolet when i tried a 45 offset

md

Reply to
vwtopdown

=46rom what I've found looking around the internet, they seem like they'll fit. They came on the car when I got it, unfortunately I didn't write down what size tires were on it. With the wheels on them now (probably 160's or something) they didn't rub at all and I abused that poor little car ;)

How hard would it be to make spacers, given that I have access to a metal lathe and milling machine? just have to make a disc and put 4 properly spaced holes in it, right?

Thanks for the info

--=20

-Johann Koenig

Reply to