cruise control- FIXED

Hi,

I would like to share my recent (successful) experience fixing cruise control on my 1992 900. It started malfunctioning several years ago, and ultimately stopped working at all. I fixed it by re-soldering the contacts on the circuit board, but it broke again after about a week. It is my understanding that the circuit boards in the 41 08 643 cruise control units (used in >=1992 c900s) and their counterparts in the >=1992 Saab 9000s (41 08 650 I think) fail quite often.

I saw a post by Jeff on the saabnet.com Saab 9000 bulletin board that addresses this problem. He successfully used the 95 26 757 (from the pre-1992 Saab 9000) or its counterpart from the pre-1992 c900 to substitute for the faulty post-1992 unit. The central problem with this scheme is the different wiring connectors. He received this wiring diagram from Ville V A Hinkkanen in Finland, which outlines how to connect the pre-1992 cruise control module to a post-1992 car (colors may vary a little, but pin numbers are right):

1 (brown) -> 10 (red) 12 V, if ignition 2 (red-white) -> 3 (red-white) SET => 12 V 3 (black) -> 5 (red-white) brake & clutch pedal 4 (grey) -> 7 (grey) vacuum pump 5 (blue) -> 11 (blue) speed signal 6 (yellow) -> 4 (yellow) RESUME => 12 v 7 (orange) -> 6 (orange) vacuum pump 8 (black) -> 8 (black) ground 9 (red) -> 1 (red) & 9 (white) 12 V, if the cruise is on

I took his suggestion and made an adapter cable by connecting the wiring harness that goes with a 95 26 757 (harvested from a 1990 Saab 9000) to the male connector removed from a broken 41 08 643 unit. I used this to connect the

95 26 757 cruise module to my 1992 c900, and it worked perfectly. Plus, the "accel" feature works by pressing the "set" key, which is a feature that hadn't worked since the car was new.

I think this should work for connecting cars with broken cruise modules 41 08

643 or 41 08 650 to replacement modules 95 26 757, 85 87 016, or 95 60 905.

I am very happy with how this turned out, and I hope other people with broken cruise control in post-1992 900s and 9000s will find this post helpful. Special thanks to Jeff from the Saabnet 9000 BB, and the guy from Finland.

John

Reply to
John B

The cruise control isn't the only thing that fails in the 1992 900 just about everything also fails.

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I don't think your experience in typical.

Reply to
- Bob -

Sorry group, I must've missed a post. My cruise control has failed too - does anyone know how it can be mended? And if they just said so would they mind reposting?

The last time I asked, some nice soul on here helpfully responded "Buy a book"! Well, I have a Haynes which I bought for my previous 900T, essentially the same apart from 16v, cruise control and a few other things so it seemed daft to buy another - anyway I rather thought Help & Advice was what the group is all about!

BTW at 170 000 miles the car has been great and troublefree - even despite an early aerial somersault!

tks - sb

Reply to
sb

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks for that - sounds a bit complicated but at least I know what to do now. Btw mines a 1991 (16v) 900T, which was the New model at the time - much the same as the previous, which I also had, save difft wheelbase and a few other things (like cruise control), It didn't Ever change again, did it? Wasn't it replaced by the 9s? - sb

Reply to
sb

Wheelbase was same I think, overall length was slightly shorter due to different bumpers. Was essentially same vehicle, different engine. 16v Was the new model in the 1984/1985 season not 1991, facelifted to the smaller bumpers 1986/87 I think. New model was the NG or GM900 based on an Opel/Vauxhall design also sold as the Cavalier in the UK. Not sure what the rest of europes Opel designation was. That was in 1993 for the 3/5 doors and 1994 for the convertible.

Reply to
Elder