Dead Cheap Performance Enhancement

Happy as I was with my car's performance (1989 C900 T8 Special), I'm in the process of replenishing various things under the bonnet as a kind of maintenance that gets a little overlooked on old cars.

I happened across a new set of Bougicord leads for just over 20 quid (available from if anyone else is interested), which is a very good price indeed. I popped the leads on this evening and we went for a drive ... WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Where the car jumped to the split between the yellow and red zones on the APC gauge before, now and again, I could hear the wastegate smash open and the power drop a little. Now, the car leaps up to just into the red with a final surge that is like a little second boost (it's not boost creep, don't worry :) ) with a kind of internal organ re-organising surge!

It just goes to show what a car in stock form can be like when well tuned. It just feels right ... Really strong and very planted on the road. I'm a happy chappy ... Easy to please, but a happy chappy nevertheless :)

Night all ... New vacuum lines tomorrow ...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Surely, the old leads were shot? Funky leads merely retain the power output of the engine rather than improve it...

Just as it should! ;)

It's all the little bits and pieces that refresh an engine that's seen some of the world and one of the reasons why people think a 100,000 mile donk is tired. It isn't, it's nicely run in, but benefits from lots of bits being replaced.

Reply to
DervMan

in article 44efe3b9$0$1387$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, DervMan at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 26/8/06 07:00:

Evidently :)

My old leads were a set of Bosch, which must have done over 30,000 miles. At least Bougicords are what SAAB put on the car from the factory and have a replacement schedule for 70,000 Km, so they'll be good for a lot longer than the Bosch leads.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Gotcha. I was going to go on about OEM leads tending to be better than alternatives, but I prefer glowplugs to sparkplugs and try to avoid such sparkies wherever possible. ;)

Reply to
DervMan

D'oh. "Gotcha" here means, "I agree and we're on the same wavelength" rather than "hahaha you're wrong, boo boo face" or whatever. :-p

Reply to
DervMan

in article 44f05ea6$0$2551$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, DervMan at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 26/8/06 15:44:

Indeed! I read it that way ... Which proves we're on the same wavelength ;) Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Removed waxing and it had a great effect on the performance . . . . . . . . . . . of my hearing...

I take my coat.

Reply to
Johannes

Go Johannes!! ;)