turbo questions

Hi i was wondering what was the best turbos saab ever put on there

9000s i think it might be the older (85-89) 9000 turbos becaues they are garrett T3s but a friend of mine says its the 91-93 garrett t25s

what do u think is a better turbo for performance?

THANKS

Reply to
es

Garrett provides turbos for 9k up to the end of its production I believe. Both of my two 94's and the 95 9000 have Garrett.

Reply to
yaofeng

Except the Aero which had a Mitsibushi IIRC

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Yes. Of course. The Aero has Mitsu TD-04 turbo.

Reply to
yaofeng

I hope their turbos are more reliable than their cars.

Natural Light Black and White Photography

seog

Substaincially .. :) ..

Interesting differences actaully - the power comes on stronger and a little earlier than the Gart. It's quieter as well. Couldn't be more pleased.

Reply to
Dexter J

Couldn't offer an opinion on Mitsubishi's. Never had one. Likely never will.

Reply to
yaofeng

In my experience the Mits turbos are very good, I have one in my Volvo which just rolled past 272K miles on the original turbo, bearings in it are kinda loose but it's not scraping.

Reply to
James Sweet

So the Mitsu turbos were on all 9k Aeros?

Reply to
seog

That' right.

Reply to
yaofeng

Yes in-dee-dee-who-yah-diddly.

Frankly, it is not as linear from lower revs. Once you are above 3,000 the power is smooth and tractable up and down to red-line. However, it takes a while to spool up if you are cruising around 2,500.

That's ok anyway - I have to throw out the anchor at speed limit +10% for the next 2.6 years given my last explorations regarding the potentials in the spring.

Finally! An Aero ..

And now I should just lock on the left indicator and buy a big floppy hat for when I'm traveling?

.. Grumble Grumble .. Grumble Grumble ..

Reply to
Dexter J

I think the older 9000 (85-89) turbos (garrett T3) are the best because they are bigger ,flow better at high boost and run cooler too. so it might take a little if any longer to spool up but top end performance is much better

Reply to
es

You would think that based on the dimensions, I ran a 1989 Turbo before one fateful evening when I discovered the CD had a fatal blind spot.

The Mitsu runs about the same temps, and is easier to spin up and down once you are above 3,000. The limiting factor on the Aero (Trionic) is that the engine cuts out around 20psi(?) - whereas the Turbo (Bosche) seems to trigger a knock lockdown around 16psi(?). I'm sorry, I don't have the exact figures at hand at the moment and may be completely wrong.

But none the less, I wonder if the reason they went Mitsu on the Aero is because it reacts more quickly to opening and closing the wastegate once it's up and breathing? Being smaller, it might better control/handle wastegate changes I would think.

I say this because my Kawasaki Z1R likes slightly small carbs (23mm) for much the same reason. While you get about the same power at red-line regardless of throat - you can more accurately control power through the band with smaller carbs.

Heck, maybe is was just a cheaper deal based on a peak at Aero Trionic for SAAB for all we know. Gart might not have been willing to sign an agreement or it might simply have had to do with fuel economy (which is still amazing from a

225hp mill in anybody's books).
Reply to
Dexter J

in article snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, es at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 12/11/2005 16:03:

The Garrett TB0358 on my C900 T8 is a very good turbo. Yes, there is a little lag, but that is in gears at revs that would not welcome a surge of turbo power. Despite the low end lag, which doesn't really bother me since I like a "cooler" launch, it hits the high notes very nicely. Given good fuelling and a cold day (with my uprated APC box), it'll sit at around 1 bar all day; otherwise 0.75 bar is perfectly satisfactory as standard.

The Mitsubishi turbo does a very good job of giving a smooth boost rise and seems to be spinning much earlier. The LPT 900s and 9000s I've driven feel just right. 15 years on, I think the older Garrett-charged vehicles are much more fun, especially the 8V C900s! But, I would say that :) When used right, the sudden surge does give passengers quite a rush :) Muhahhaha!

There is a particularly good page over on Widde's 900 Aero website, detailing the flow rates of various chargers:

... Click 'Tech' and then 'Turbo Info'.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday