DIY 5 Speed Pinion Bearing replacement

Does any have any experience in replacing the pinion bearings on a 87

900S? I am doing the Tranny swap thing (900 -> 900S). While on the Saabsite, I read that my tranny suffered from the wornout pinion bearing. Reached the point where the wheels will lock when when traveling in reverse and depressing the clutch again. This started with both right and left motor mounts failing. When I replaced them, the engine now being where it belonged, the pinion bearings were not :-(.

My 900 transmission has never had the pinion bearings replaced and I think it would behoove me to do so before putting the tranny in the

900S. Then again, the motor mounts had not failed on the 900 either so it may not have had as much stress. Is this a job I should tackle? Or put the tranny in and hope for the best?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

If you want to read up on the process of transmission rebuilding, there is a good deal of material at Twinsaabs.com:

There are other sites covering this too, but start with one and as you find more read them to gather as much info as you can before starting any work.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Thanks Craig,

I think this means I am going to do as I read in other posts, drive the transmission until it fails and then decide if I want to go with another transmission. I do not think I want to completely gut the transmission. I only paid $900 for the car and it was quite reliable for a couple years. The main reason I am going to bother with the tranny swap is:

  1. I have a spare
  2. Replaced the Head gasket 1 yr ago
  3. Replaced the clutch 6 months ago

A question on fluids. Should I use a transmission fluid 70W80? or motor oil 10W40? I have read several conflicting posts on the Internet concerning this.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Well as an update - I have successfully swapped the transmissions and all is good again. Cost was minimal. swapped the rack and pinon steering while I was at it and now have power steering for the first time since I owned this particular C900S.

Reply to
Jim