Rear Pinion Bearing Replacement

I have a 1987 Ford F150 4X4 on which I need to replace the rear pinion bearing, and carrier bearings. Does anyone know of any good reference materials for this job? My Chilton Manual is not much help, it says to take it to a shop. However, I am comfortable doing the job if I had a good reference.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Craig

Reply to
Craig

BattleGodz

Thanks for the advice. I am short on time right now anyways, and may do just that.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Take it to a shop. The clearances and preload values on these things are critical to their longevity. Best to take it to someone who does 'em all day long. I think of myself as a pretty decent wrench and have rebuilt a few motors in my garage, but I *always* send my diffs to the pros for any work.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego