Front discs

Hi all,

I need to change my front discs on my 9000, but according to the Haynes manual, it appears I'll have to disconnect the brake line to the calipers to do it. However, I've stuck my head in the wheel arch & it looks like all I need to do is undo 2 bolts behind the disc to remove the entire caliper without the need to disconnect the brake line.

Could someone enlighten me please if the Haynes is correct - it'll be too late to take to a mechanic if I follow the manual & get into problems,

Cheers

kds :-)

Reply to
kingdoodlesquat

Haynes is blowing smoke if it tells you to disconnect the brake line. Removing the two 19 mm bolt head carrier bolts will do.

Reply to
yaofeng

cheers, I thought Haynes was being a bit over the top.

Reply to
kingdoodlesquat

It's not known as the "book of lies" for nothing!

Just for fun:-

To answer the original question, this is rot you do not need to take off the brake line, just keep it supported to lessen the risk of damage to it whilst the callipers off.

Al

Reply to
Al

Yup :-)

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Rubbish! Page 9.11 paragraph 18 says " ... the brake pads and hydraulic hose can be left in place..." perhaps you have a US version?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

There is no US version. I couldn't find mine any longer not having looked it up for years for my three 9k's. To me it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Reply to
yaofeng

Well, perhaps it is :-) I still use it on my TWO 9ks for jobs not covered by sections of the official manual I have.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Personally, I enjoy the way Haynes always uses generic instructions when you need very specific, per model instructions the most. Then they out do themselves in other instances by leading you down a very detailed path and drop you off on a deserted street with statements like "now remove the 10 screws securing the dash" without a single pointer on where the 10 screws are located.

Reply to
still me