Gear box!!

Has any one had problems with their gear box?If so what was the damage to ur pocket because it looks like im heading that way. Also is it possible to be just an eletrical problem, if so How do I tell?

Th more I read the more I see that saab is infamous for the gear box to "goust" and begin to ride limp I just want to know will it cost alot and what will I ahve to do?

Reply to
D-rock

What makes you think you're heading that way?

The costs of taking the gearbox out and replacing any defective parts. Most of the costs will be for workshop hours. Depends where you are in the world, and the type auto/manual of box.

Reply to
johannes

Well my car is not um how do you say,...catching first gear properly. Pluss the gear box light comes on evry ounce and a while and it becomes limp.

Reply to
D-rock

Also thanks for writing im still new at this so my questions can be a little vague or ect lol.

Reply to
D-rock

So it's an automatic then? I'd check for low fluid first; a leak is the cheapest possible problem and easy enough to deal with, depending on severity.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes a little vague ;-)

C.

Reply to
Charles C.

What does "goust" mean ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Goust mean it becomes like lol a goust. The gear box dose not catch gears and the engine just revs up but wont move. from what I have herd in car lingo.

Reply to
D-rock

Goust?

Do you mean ghost?

Now don't get me wrong, my English is far from perfect, but some of the words you are using don't appear to exist, which is why we're going to struggle to help.

Reply to
DervMan

in article 45fd3def$0$28977$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, DervMan at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 18/03/2007 13:21:

I wonder if he means "goosed" ... A popular slang term for feckened :)

I'm not certain of the precise mechanics, when gearboxes become, erm, goosed, the gears do not catch. This is not like a failed clutch - more like when the gear is engaged and any power is put behind it, it simply slips out of gear.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the mechanics of why that happens?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Indeed. Goust is a perfectly crumulent word.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I believe that is spelt cromulent, Dave. But I still don't know what "goust" is. Please embiggen my vocabulary and elightify me.

Reply to
Fred W

(shrug) you spells it how you wants it, Ferd, I'll spells it how I wants to. It's not so much about embiggenification of our vocabulousity, it's all about inventifying new suffications for usifying.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well I did mean ghost. Yes my Vocab can now and then become a little horrid but mainly typos. But I do admit ghost was a new one. Any ways I did mean ghost, I have never herd of goosed not that I know enough to say its not the same thing but back to the point. Thank you for the help, ill check for leaks and for short circuits. I still believe its electrical.

Reply to
D-rock

Well, if it is an auto transmission you may just as well sell the car. If it is manual then you probably just need a new clutch installed. I personally rebuilt the transmission on my 900S and the cost for parts was over six hundred dollars. Time to remove the engine and reinstall is about twelve hours. Time to rebuild the transmission about eight hours.

Reply to
darthpup

What about a broken solenoid? I don't think that's how u spell it but that's kind of the gist of it. Do u know what that is/? It's skipping first gear because of it? From what my mechanic says

Reply to
D-rock

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Reply to
darthpup

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Its Automatic.

Reply to
D-rock

Proust after he was dead? Cheers