Green Light for Go!

I have a fairly straight forward question for those of you in the know, what is the technique of least grief for changing the overhead dashlights (the two green ones that illuminate the instrument panel face, not the ones behind) on a 1990 900i? Only the left one is out so consequently the only inconvenience to me is that I can't see the clock at 7am in the morning when I'm late for work, again. I suspect this will involve removing large sections of the dash and I have yet to get my hand on a Bentley's.....

Reply to
Ice Saab

in article snipped-for-privacy@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.com, Ice Saab at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 01/12/2006 00:31:

Elder's tip: Remove the speaker grille and working from the outside (with the door open, of course) reach in and change the one you need to.

When re-fitting the speaker grille, be careful to attach the short length of air ducting correctly, so the air blows through fully. I usually attach the ducting to the grille, re-insert the grille and using a long screwdriver poked through the slats just manouvre the other end of the duct into the right place.

My tip: Remove the dash fascia and reach over the top of the instrument cluster. You need to remove the instrument cluster once so you know what you're feeling for, so if this is your first time, follow Elder's tip :)

Good luck.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

All you need to do is remove the speaker/grille from the relevent side (left for LHD countries, right for RHD countries) and you can access both of the twist-in lamp holders through the hole in the top of the dash where the speaker and vent grill normally sits. Can take a little bit of trial and error since you don't have direct view of the holders, but look down through the windscreen at the back of the instrument cluster and the two lampholders you need to get at are the two large ones at the top of the rear of the instrument cluster.

Good luck.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Cheers mate, I already knew about the speaker/grill situation, I just wasn't sure if you could access the overhead bulbs from there. I changed it no worries and am now painfully aware of how late I am getting to work each day. It can be tough to gauge the time when you live in Iceland in the winter. A big thanks also to Bj=F6rn Envall for making it so simple. I remember it was a nightmare changing the globes on my old Ford Falcon's dash.

Craig's Saab C900 Site wrote:

Wide!

tc.

Reply to
Ice Saab

Cheers mate, I already knew about the speaker/grill situation, I just wasn't sure if you could access the overhead bulbs from there. I changed it no worries and am now painfully aware of how late I am getting to work each day. It can be tough to gauge the time when you live in Iceland in the winter. A big thanks also to Bj=F6rn Envall for making it so simple. I remember it was a nightmare changing the globes on my old Ford Falcon's dash.

Craig's Saab C900 Site wrote:

Wide!

tc.

Reply to