Help me decide on a replacement car

Hi all,

The lease on our '04 Viggen is up in the summer, and it is time to decide what to do about it. My wife has been the primary driver of the

9-3, while I have a '94 9000 CSE. The CSE has 135k on the odometer, but runs fine with a few creaks and rattles, it has a few minor issues that I would get fixed up should we keep it (replacing a faulty door lock motor, one of the seat motors is near dead on the driver's side, replace the moonroof seals) I'd also look into replacing the computer to give more HP, and beef up the suspension for a better ride.

The Viggen is in like new condtion save for some normal driver's seat wear. It has 24k on it's clock.

We are considering the following scenarios, but are not sure which is the best option, I'm hoping someone up here can offer some suggestions.

1: Keep both the 9k and the the viggen.

2: Replace the 9k with an '06 9-5 or a '95 9-5 Aero and keep the Viggen

3: Replace the Viggen with something else (Under consideration is: '06 9-3 Aero, Used Lexus IS300, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Mazda Speed6 5 door) and keep the 9k till the wheels fall off.

We want something sporty as well as a family cruiser that fits 5 comfortably. The Viggen is tight with 4, but the 9k is excellent in that regard. I'm a bit dismayed that the 9-5 has 3" less rear legroom than the 9k. and I bemoan the lack of a decent looking hatch back in Saab's line up. But I still feel that Saab is one of the best deals for the money.

So what say you all, Option 1, 2 or 3 or something we have not thought about yet.

Thanks

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

When you ask the question such as you posted on this NG, you can practically eliminate #3 because most are biased toward keeping the SAAB. For me personally I would drive the wheels off the 9k before getting the 9-5. You won't get any SAAB which seats five as comfortably as the 9k except probably the new 9-7.

Reply to
yaofeng

Believe me I'm biased towards Saab as well. I'm on my 4th Saab, and it is only the lack of a true replacement for the 9k that prompts my question.

At some point the upkeep on the 9k is going to be more than is economically worthwhile. I'm trying to head that off at the pass.

My feeling is this: I like both cars (9k and Viggen), my wife is blase' on both (even though she has been primary driver on the Viggen), so if we have to get rid of one I don't know which I would get trade in.

If only Saab had a 9-5 hatch or a true replacement for the 9k Aero it would be a no brainer, But alas, they don't.

I just found out the Mazda Speed6 is sedan only and no fold down rear seats, Based on specs it is about the same size as a 9-5. if only they had a 5 door hatch. It is a 274hp turbocharged 4cyl. And here I thought the 9-5 was the fastest/most HP 4 banger around.

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

You are in the same boat (mostly) as I am.

I have a 96 CSE and I have had the turbo tuned up and put Aero front struts and a sports exhaust. I took it to my local Saab performance guy to get his opinion on best bang for buck to improve the performance further. He said that I could get 17" wheels, but more engine management would cost quite a bit and add very little. Already mine goes harder than a standard Aero according to him and my test drive of another Aero I agree with him.

I also have little niggles that need repair like new bonnet badge, headlight wiper, sunvisor etc. In the end with performance mods, if I go too far, I will spend say, $4k if I did the wheels, suspension and engine management and end with a car that would be fun on the race track but not as nice a daily drive as it is today. Also the car would not be worth much more, so from a financial point of view it makes little sense, but I know that my head does not always rule my heart!

Having said all that I am still looking for alternatives from Maptun in Canberra (I am in Sydney Australia) who are an international firm that provides lots of Saab performance products.

I have been doing some weeks of research, so if you'd like some websites to refer to or compare other notes let me know.

Cheers,

Reply to
Mark Rayner

We decided to keep both Saabs for now. Mine pulls pretty good for a 12 year old car, but after driving the 230HP Viggen I want more power! :)

I'll probably keep the wheels I have for now since I recently put on 80k rated tires less than 10k ago. But suspension and engine mods.... Those I'll go for. Post the links please I'll see if they are any different than those I have.

Thanks

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

Here are the most relevant links that I have links

I hope that is of at least some assistance.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Craig,

I have exactly the same quandary and had the same revelation with the Mazdaspeed 6. It is particularly disappointing because the original Mazdaspeed prototype was designed around the hatchback, but was changed to a sedan to provide better frame rigidity. I don't really need the all-wheel drive, so my alternative was the Mazda 6i with an aftermarket turbo

I may need to rethink that plan too. An online search of dealer inventory at mazdausa.com shows than none of the 10 dealerships within 25 miles have a 4 cyl, manual hatchback and haven't had one in the past 4 months that I have been checking. Other small problems such as the turbo cost of US$3795 plus installation, it not being EPA approved and I live in an area that requires emissions tests also come into play.

I managed to fix my stalling 9000 that has been out of action since October - primarily since I was out of town and didn't have the time to look at it. The problem ended up being a US$18 coolant temperature sensor available at the local AutoZone. But, as you note, the car won't be that reasonable to repair all the time.

If I can, I plan on waiting for the BioPower 9-5. The appeal of buying US$1.69/gal. fuel (the current price for E-85 in my area) vs. US$2.49 for 98 RON unleaded and then getting an extra 30 hp may cause me to waive the hatchback requirement.

Please keep your findings posted. Since we seem to have the same taste in cars, we may be able to buy together and get a quantity discount!

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Walt,

I live in the cereal bowl of the US, the land of Fruits, Nuts and Flakes, Southern California. As yet I have not seen any E-85 around here. But I would definetly consider it as a viable alternative.

My 9k is running fine and in fact my wife is now using it as a daily driver while I drive the Viggen. It takes some getting used to such a change in dimensions.

I've see the Mazad6 in Hatchback & manual, but for only 5hp more than the 9k, and 3 inches less rear legroom, I don't think its worth it. I won't look at the 4cyl version of the Mazda as it is too big a car to get by on so little HP.

So we plan on keeping both Saabs for now, until the 9k dies. But I will do some mods to put more fun into it, New ECU (who is better Maptun or Abbott?), Moded suspension, I don't want a super hard ride, just better control in corners and such, Wood trim (probably Joshua Tree for that), and a few fixes.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything else.

I did think briefly about the Chevy Malibu Maxx, which seems to be an ugly reincarnation of the 9k, but quickly said NO!!!!

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin
*2004* Viggen?
Reply to