Hot transmition.

A friend's 2004 Saab 9-3 automatic has just started giving a hot transmission warning light for short times 2 min on 10 off. She will bring it to the dealer on Monday. But since I only have owned manuals, I have know idea what the problem could be. Apparently it seems to occur when slowing down, so I assume when the transmission automatically downshifts. Though it has not been checked. I doubt it is low fluid, since it is parked in a garage and the stain would show up. any other ideas?

Stephen B

Reply to
Stephen B.
04 should still be under warranty. Its saabs problem. once you document the problem you have secured a future repair. Saab is Excellent on there warranty. good luck papa
Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

"Stephen B." wrote

As was suggested and I had expected, it was under warranty. She just told me that they replaced a faulty sensor in her car. I was mainly curious as to what could cause the problem. I am still curious as to why put in a transmission temperature sensor in an auto trans? Is overheating a problem that auto transmissions do run into? I can see that type of problem if the fluid is low, but I do not know what is actually going on in one.

Stephen B.

Reply to
Stephen B.

Automatic transmissions run extremely hot if they are working hard, the oil can be hotter than the engine cooling water.. If a car so fitted is used for towing it usual to fit additional oil cooling. The hydraulic oil in things like excavators runs very hot and needs cooling surfaces. The sensor you mention is a safety link to warn of excessive heat, such as when a fully loaded car is climbing an alpine pass! Auto oil is not just a lubricant.

Reply to
John Hudson