Re: tire pressure

Raceguy says

1 check tires Every 2 weeks 2 Rotate tires at every oil change 3 Check alignment annualy 4 Wheel balance does not last

What a load of crap that is.

1 If tires need air in 2 weeks or 1 month you have crap tires or rims that need to be replaced or repaired. 2 Rotate tires at every oil change, what a joke, at 15$-20$ a rotation I could buy 2 new tires for the money you just waisted. 3 Check alignment annualy, another stupid idea that has saved me about 700$, enough to buy almost 2 complete sets of tires. You only need alignment checked if you hit something or wear unevenly. I have over 100000 miles and tires wear perfectly even, their alignment is still fine.

4 Balance, yes they do go out after maybe 25000, this I agree on. But your other misguided waisting of money is just that, enough to buy at least 2 1/2 sets of tires, 10 tires. Take the money you will waste and buy a good top quality tire from a real pro that will clean and Seal the rims so you wont leak like, a pro that offers a guarntee.

Reply to
m Ransley

================================================================= Maybe this website will help everyone out. Anything you do over & above is at your option.

lexmurphy

You call it crap. I call it good advice.

You are wrong if you think that those are the only two possible reasons you can lose air in a short amount of time. Nails & screws work very well. So do people that like to mess around, as one friend found out. The only reason he noticed his tire was low was because they had let all of the air out, probably kids messing around. The point is, your two reasons are not the only ones.

I have never paid for a tire rotation in my life. If you want to argue that I am wasting my time with useless labor, fine, but since I do not spend any money on rotations, your comments about it costing money do not apply to me and many others that do our own maintenance.

So, again, only two possible reasons? If your car still has a "perfect" alignment, and it was last done 100,000 miles ago, it will be the first one I have ever heard of in over 20 years of driving and working on cars. You should submit it to Guiness. ;-)

We almost agree here, but haven't you ever seen a wheel weight on the ground? It is pretty common around here and every one of those represents a wheel that needs to be re-balanced, regardless of the number of miles on it. Checking the balance once in a while does not hurt anything, and my local tire shop offers free balancing for the life of the tire anyway.

Pat

Reply to
pws

You may not pay for rotation, but everybody else does, Have you ever seen wheel nuts over torked by an idiot, you can warp rotors with uneven torking. I follow the manual on miles for this.

Ive had several cars in at 100000 miles that had alignment checked, and needed no adjustment, but I dont live in the city where potholes can ruin a new car in 5 minutes. I just put new Michelins on one with

106000m, alignment was fine as was tire wear pattern.

As far as checking tire air as you do, do it if you need to, but I just dont loose air or have the issues you do, if I did I would fix the issue so as to not waist time.

Reply to
m Ransley

Nonsense, I know several people that do their own rotations, and that is just in my immediate circle of friends and associates. Do you really think that you found the single person in the world that does tire/wheel rotations themself?

Yes, many times. I use a torque wrench, it works great and I have never warped a rotor with it.

Hey, we agree on something! Since I do it myself, I don't have to worry about it being done incorrectly.

If it works for you, great. Every RWD car I have ever owned has used up the rear tires faster than the fronts. Every FWD car has used up the front tires much faster than the rears. Frequent rotations extend my amount of time between tire replacements, though I usually do it every other oil change rather than every time.

Again, there are more reasons than potholes for needing an alignment. Stretched alignment adjusting bolts & worn suspension bushings are a couple that I have seen. I am happy to hear your luck has been so much better than every other car owner I have ever known.

There are no "issues" to fix. There are sharp objects in the road. These wind up in your tire every once in a while. As far as someone messing with your tires, as in my friend's case, even if you have a garage, how do you fix that "issue" if it happens while you are in the store or if you are parked at a friend's house?

Issues? Not quite. You claim to cruise the highways for 100K miles, never needing alignments or tire repairs at any time, since the only way that *you* can lose air is through a bad wheel or tire and the only way your alignment can go bad is if you hit potholes. I claim bulls***, and I doubt if we are going to end up agreeing on this.

Pat

Reply to
pws