'02 TJ Sport Auto Transmission - DEAD!

Hey All,

Haven't posted in a while, but...

My truck has been at the dealers since Monday. Before that, I noticed that when slowing down past 30mph, probably when (auto) transmission was downshifting into second, there was a loud thump and the truck jerked forward for a split second.

Took it to the dealer (still under warranty - 33.5K miles). Today got informed that there was "massive damage" to the transmission and it would be replced or rebuilt.

Either way, my question is this: What would cause such damage under normal driving conditions? The TJ has never seen any serious off-roading, has no lift or any other mods. Is this a known problem? This truck has had more problems in two years than everything I've previously owned put together:

1.) Broken doorlock 2.) Windshield cracks if a mosquito hits it. 3.) The famous 14K mile warped rotor problem (Fixed myself by going to aftermarket rotors and buying a torque wrench) 4.)Recursive "vapor lock - check engine light" problem.

I digress... What's up with the transmission damage?

Igor.

Reply to
Igor

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

It was changed at 15K. Against my will, but it was done.

Reply to
Igor

It sucks, but some times shit happens GOD knows I have been in allot of shit in my life.

Just a thought not a sermon HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Who changed your tranny fluid? If it was one of those quick lube places..... They like to have the vehicle driven around for 15 minutes to make the fluid real hot and easy to drain. Then while the transmission's parts are still really hot, they pour nice cold new fluid in there. Hot metal and cold fluid = warping.

This is also what happens to your rotors. After you drive around for a while, your rotors really heat up. Then if it starts raining, or you hit a big puddle. Then the rotors warp. Many Jeeps have a $1000 "kit" to fix the problem. We had the kit put in my gf's 1999 Grand Cherokee, but the rotors still warped after 11,000 miles. It came with a 12,000 warranty though, so we lucked out.

Reply to
Mark12211