I Test drove a 9-2x

Hi all,

Well I had to take the Viggen in to the shop for some minor warrenty work and while there I took a spin in the new Saabaru 9-2x Aero.

To say i was underwhelmed would be an understatement. Now not having driven the Subaru tht is the basis for this car, I can't make any direct comparisons, but having driven Saabs exclusively for the past decade I can compare it to my other Swedes.

Looks:

Man this is a strange looking car from the outside. It looks like the just the grill of a new 9-3 has been put in to replace the stock Subaru grill. I've seen plenty of Wrxs around, and to my eye they look identical on the outside save the new front end.

Interior was very bland. The seats did not have the same feel that the saab seats that we've all come to know and love have. I can't see taking this thing for a long road trip like I can the Viggen or 94 9k CSE that is in our stable. The Dash looked like typical Japanese rice burner with a layer of metal looking plastic. It probably is a step up the Subaru version. Why oh why didn't Saab put the standard vents in rather than leave the subaru standard vents? It would have been a better way of differentiating the two cars. same thing for the ignition switch. It is on the column unlike any other Saab (excepting of course the 9000 series) over all they could have done more to Saabize the interior.

Driving:

I took an Aero out since I have a Viggen, and were I to buy one I would get the Aero. It does not feel very saab like in handling. The 227 ponies under the hood were responsive, but I never got the feeling that this car was turbo powered. it just did not have the kick any of my previous turbos had. It handled okay on the curves, but I never felt as secure as I did in even my old '85 900. I did not notice any under or over steer, but I did not feel I could press the limits like in other Saabs.

It was a fairly quiet ride, and I think Saab did some noise management over the Subaru. Shifing the 5 speed was even notchier than in the Saabs, and Saabs are not known for smooth shifing manual gear boxes.

All in all I have to wonder just who GM intends this car for. If it is supposed to be an entry level Saab, why would anyone spend the extra $$$ just for the name plate when they can get a Subaru Wrx sprts wagon with vitually idetical outfitting for 2k less?

Now the salesman i talked with did tell methat they Saab is giving big incentives to try and move the 92x, I don't know if that was to buyer or to the sales staff to push the sales of the car. IMO Saab made a wrong turn in putting this one out.

Reply to
Craig Bobchin

"Craig Bobchin" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.compuserve.com...

Couldn't agree more. Thank God this car - along with the 9-7 - doesn't reach the European market.

To my horror I've just read that all future development of Saab is now being moved to Rüsselsheim (Opel). This truely is the end for Saab. They will start to make more inspiring cars and get rid of the "praticality" - and did anyone say quality.

I have no doubt that in 5 or so years, when I'm replacing my wonderful 9000, I'm going to get a used 9-5 Aero. After that.....well, I think it's gonna be Audi for the future.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Reply to
Craig Bobchin

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

I'm thinking the same thing, but probably Honda. For all the straight business likeness of Japanese cars, with everything run like clock work, they seem to be able to make cars that have some soul, some personality, plus reliability and general longevity and performance. In Italian cars you can have the looks and performance, in German cars you can have the performance and reliability, but it seems only the Japanese have managed to capture all three, mass produce them, and put them at a price point that normal people can afford.

Saabs used to be about odd but likeable looks, quirky but sane ways of doing things, and performance on top, but I can't see them still being that after Opel get their claws into new models.

But a decent used Prelude or Accord seems to be the way foward for me, with an older used Lexus should I suddenly find myself well off.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Walt, There is the option of Lease buyout, I just have to see what the new models are at that time. Who knows, perhaps a Volvo R series will be my next.

Reply to
Craig Bobchin

I recently looked at slightly used Japanese cars for my wife. The Accord left me less than impressed after driving. The Camry was positively boring. The "upscale" versions of these cars (Acura/Lexus) were just squishy, overly padded, add an extra six inches to the length, boring designs.

The Nissan Maxima SE was the car I found for her. A solid, powerful v6 with an excellent reputation, reliability, luxury, and reasonable looks (at least for the year I chose). Check them before you buy one of the others - make sure it's a sport suspension (SE model).

Reply to
Bob

I agree that the Lexus (Lexii?) models especially the bigger ones tend to be a little overstuffed, was thinking more of the IS200/300 models that seem to be the flavour of the month as Altezzas in the US, which once out of fashion will become a lot cheaper.

We don't actually get the Acura brand over here. Everything is a Honda, plain and simple.

It was actually the generation 4 prelude I was looking at as a possible. Seems to be a pretty decent spec car with a VTEC engine as a model option, leather is rare but avialable on UK cars, and they seem to hold their prices well for a 10+years old car.

Hadn't actually looked in much detail at the Accord other than a passing glance at the Accord Coupe Circa mid 90's. That and the Prelude haven't yet reached the rice brigade in too many numbers due to the fact that they hold their prices.

I'm not looking for a big Saloon/Sedan, but was thinking of the Accord for those that want to replace say a 9000 or early 9-5, but yep, the Maxima would also be suited.

I'm looking for a smaller car, to replace the 900, something with some power, but small and lighter and also lighter on fuel than the 900 as prices are still silly in the UK, and will never really get much better.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Could be a better choice. If you don't mind doing a little suspension work, they might be good.

Interesting. Here they rebadge them and everyone gets all excited at the "Acura" brand :-) The bottom of the line is OK over here (Integra). They get heavily riced out and you can take the car to whatever level you want - just a nice sporty ride or an NOS based monster.

Prelude stopped selling here a few years ago. Too bad, it was their best model. They tend to be uncommon (probably why they pulled the model).

THe Accord is very heavily riced out over here. It's a favorite.

It's comparable to the Accord in size but better done. The V6 has plenty of power/torque and is best for those who want an auto tranny.

The Civic might be a good choice - good economy, plenty of go fast parts, lots of fun as a "pocket rocket".

Reply to
Bob

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Integras tend to be older 4/5 door models with rust creaping and popup headlights, or the later model Type R VTECs

Stopped in the UK in 2001 too, but you are still looking at +£5K GBP for any of the 5th generation ones, and from £1800+ for a 4th gen like I'm thinking of, and £2500+ for a VTEC in the 92-96 4th generation period.

there is a 6th generation car being launched in Japan, but it will be about 3-4 years before they become importable economically as used cars.

Kids can't touch it, even the older ones. insurance would cripple them when a 19 year old could pay over £2000 in basic cover insurance for a 5 year old Civic.

The only ones I would consider would be the last couple of generations of VTEC Type R models, but they really hold their price.

The LSi Coupe is OK looking but lacks any go without shoving stupid money into an admittedly very tunable engine.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

[...]

There is of course the Skoda Octavia 1.8TvRS ? 180 bhp or perhaps a Honda Civic Type R 200 bhp.

Both should be reliable and fun.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sizefitter.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Oh yes. but too new, and much too pricey for my wallet unfortunatley. both would be fun, and better on petrol.

Nope, if the 900 has to go because of fuel costs (which I would hate to do but have to face upto the realities some time, plus really to do it justice I would need to spend a couple of grand on rebuilt trans, new wishbone bushes and rear bushes plus springs all round, and body/paint) I have shortlisted 3 cars/brands that might be suitable, but I must be careful.

either.

9000 CSE (an FPT 9000 driven normally rather than hooning should be more economical, but I can go for the Aero/Carlsson options because of the fuel issues). Alfa Romeo 75/155 (early 8v) or 164 2litre TS (all use the camchain rather than belt engine). Honda Prelude VTEC (uses a belt but seems more reliable than most) used arround town and at cruising speed, drinks like a shopping cart, but taken above 5250 upto 7.5k red line produces over 190BHP, and over 200 for some of the import models, and I relaly like the idea of the 4 wheelsteer system for handling.

I guess I just fancy something newer, and a little different, even if it just brings me back to Saab later after I've tried others.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Not quite sure what you mean by that but I get the following fuel consumption:-

9000 CD 2.0 lpt 31 imp. mpg 9000 CS Aero 41 imp. mpg

Both driven in a likewise manner on a motorway run. The Aero gearing is so much higher.

Do you want to scream around the place though? Forgetting the power output, what's the torque like?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Meant to say can't go for an Aero/Carlson, but maybe I can can have an aero if I can stump up the cash.

Would be nice.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Do it, think of the fuel you'll save! :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Tempting, but the decent Aeros (not going ropey again) are still above what I can afford.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo