Ipod

Hello,

I have a 99 9-3s with the integrated radio CD headunit. I am thinking about getting an ipod but am wondering if its possible to link it directly to the headunit without using an FM transmitter. It can be done with Alpine headunits via a special cable but has anyone done this with a Saab headunit. I don't really want to replace the saab headunit at all but fancy bringing all my music with me in the car. Thx for any advice

Reply to
Templenoe

Does it have a cassette player? If yes, then you have the option of the cassette adapter. Low tech, but low cost and reliable.

Reply to
ma_twain

Search/post to saabcentral.com.

Reply to
Dan

Well, the iTrip is an FM transmitter, and works well from all I've heard about it. Gets it's power from the iPod. I'm curious why you want to avoid using FM? Unless you're using your sound system while the car is still, any noise from the FM transmitter will be masked by road, wind, and engine noise anyway...

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

There's a gentleman on saabcentral.com who built a fairly simple interface to connect his Dell DJ to his factory radio -

Steve

Steve Jenkins

Well, it's illegal for a start. Probably because it trashes the FM reception in surrounding cars?

Mailto: snipped-for-privacy@nicf.demon - dot - co dot- uk

Reply to
ffflick

Sorry.....illegal in the UK; maybe not elsewhere.... Mailto: snipped-for-privacy@nicf.demon - dot - co dot- uk

Reply to
ffflick

Not illegal here in the US...do they really have the RF detector vans running around looking for unlicensed television sets in the UK, or was that an urban legend?

As far as interfering with other cars' reception, it is only logical to choose an unused frequency for a transmitter of this nature, so unless they're in the habit of listening to an unused spot on the band, it won't bother anyone. Worse problem is that they don't like your music and find it while scanning around.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I guess that there must be some control of public bands such as FM also in the US, otherwise chaos would ensue. But with low power and tuned at a blank spot on the band, it's not likely to trash anyone's radio listening.

There are certain free bands in the UK, e.g. for key fobs for your car and low power walkie talkies, but these are not on the FM scale.

Yes, they do. But I've only seen one just once. You can get fined GBP 1000 and sent to prison if not paying the fine. If you drop the TV for a period of time to save money, and then reinstate the licence, then they can automatically assume that you've watched in the meantime and backdate the expiry date. It works as a kind of tax collection.

Then just follow another car...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen