leaking Turbo ?

early mornings my 1996 (320.000 km ) blows out blue smoke as if it was an old tractor. My dealer says it is a small leak in my turbo that cause a little oil to drip in to the Turbo. when the engine is warm the blue smoke disaoppears according to the technitian partly because the oil has been exhausted and partly cause the heat forces the metal to expand an close the leak !

Anyone recognise this problem and can tell me if the official explanation makes any sense cause the "solution"costs a whopping"1150 Euro's

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
harrie

tractor. My dealer says it is a small leak in my turbo that cause a little oil to drip in to the Turbo. when the engine is warm the blue smoke disaoppears according to the technitian partly because the oil has been exhausted and partly cause the heat forces the metal to expand an close the leak !

any sense cause the "solution"costs a whopping"1150 Euro's

Sounds reasonable, although it may be that the hot turbo just vaporizes the oil too... it does sound like a reasonable diagnosis. There are other places for oil to leak in (like valve seals) that would cause similar problems (oil drips in when cold in enough volume to blow blue smoke. Someone else here might have some diagnostic techniques.

You might want to look for a used turbo. It would be a lot cheaper.

Reply to
- Bob -

tractor. My dealer says it is a small leak in my turbo that cause a little oil to drip in to the Turbo. when the engine is warm the blue smoke disaoppears according to the technitian partly because the oil has been exhausted and partly cause the heat forces the metal to expand an close the leak !

makes any sense cause the "solution"costs a whopping"1150 Euro's

Your turbocharger oil leak is still in the early stage. Next you'll see the blue smoke when you stop at street intersections. If you keep ignoring it, soon enough you'll be driving in smoke screens like double-o-seven.

Reply to
yaofeng

Yes, my 92 9000T also smokes when the turbo is cold. Not when you first start it but if you let it sit and idle (cold or hot) it will start to smoke like a chimney.

As soon as you start driving on the highway, it stops.

I bought a used turbo and will replace it when I get a round to-it.

Charles

harrie wrote:

Reply to
Charles