Night Display button

Does anyone regularly hit the Night Display button to lengthen the screen life on the SID etc? Is there any advantage to turning all those lights in the "aircraft cockpit" off?

Rich

Reply to
Richard Sauer

If it's a 9-5 your SID will go on the blink right after the 3yr warranty is up, Night Panel or not. In fact mine behaves on a frosty morning and misbehaves on a hot sunny day. I don't think I've ever seen an old Saab with dim SID. Their plugs will do for them long before any burnout IMHO.

Reply to
Colum Mylod

I hope I won't draw the wrath of the Saab gremlins by saying so, but my '02

9-5 Aero Wagon is coming up on 5 years old, and so far no problems with the SID.
Reply to
Gary Fritz

Kinda. When the SID is cool, more pixels work...

Yes, there's less distraction at night. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I've owned 3 saabs. my 99 9-3 has had the same panel with no problem. my wife's 2001 9-5 se yes the one with the Saturn (or so it seems) v6 engine had to have the panel replaced after only a couple years (under warranty). the other saab is just too new. we got rid of the 01

Reply to
alain.bohbot

I had a '99 93 for a while with the night panel feature. I used it fair bit as I lived out of town and did a lot of highway commuting. When dark (fairly good chunk of my commute for a good portion of the year at the time) it really did reduce the amount of distraction. Between the night panel and keeping things dimmer anyway, it was easy to concentrate on the road and not have your eyes drawn down to this or that.

I keep the panel lights adjusted so they are not brighter than what's seen out the windshield anyway....keeps from ruining your night vision.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

Doing so won't lenthen the life off the SID. The problem with the SID is extremely poor design of the internal cable - after some time the solder points come apart and you gradually lose the pixels...

Reply to
starman

Mine is almost the same model: 9-5 TiD 3.0 out of '02 with third engine in. There the second, sometimes the third "row" in SID is of or a little bit darker. But additionally: Some segments in the temp-display are going off, too!!!

Greetz Chris

Reply to
Christoph Kessler

Third engine?? I wonder if there are any 9-5 v6s with 200,000 miles -original engine, original SID, original DI cassette. I'm at 90,000 miles on my 2000-all original stuff.....I suppose the ax will fall any day now. Reading you guys on SAABs is like reading the Gospel of St. John...a sort of automotive apocalypse. "Behold a Pale SAAB....

Rich

Reply to
Richard Sauer