Manual trans. shifting problem

My local mechanic(s) advised me that the problem I have getting into 5th gear on my `85 900 is due to some sort of sleeve in the transmission that is "galling" making it very hard to move. After some adjustment, it is now possible to get it into 5th gear which wasn't possible before, but it does take some effort/force. Is this a known problem?

5th gear has never been used much on this vehicle. Is it possible that crud has built up in the mechanism?

My mechanic(s) also said it's next to impossible to get repair parts for the transmission. Are there known sources other than wrecking yards?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Not really - the whole lot is bathed in oil. My initial suspicion would be a misaligned shifter. This is the first thing to check. If the shifter is fine, then you start worndering if it's a gearbox problem.

Really not true. All C900 gearbox components are readily available (not cheap, but available). Because of the prices, it's generally a good idea to try to source a good used gearbox first.

Reply to
Grunff

I found quite a few used gearboxes on ebay.

Fairly cheap too for saab stuff.

Reply to
Larry C.

Isn't a misaligned shifter a gearbox problem?

The mechanic(s) said they could get it to slide by using a long enough pry bar but otherwise...

What is a C900? I've seen others use the term but have no idea what is meant by it.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Well, that depends on your definition of misaligned shifter ;-) I was using the term to mean a misalignment between the shift rod which is part of the gear lever mechanism with the shift rod which is part of the gearbox.

This would produce the symptoms you describe, but is a trivial fix.

Classic 900 (1979-1993), as opposed to the GM butchered new shape 900 (New Generation, NG900) which came afterwards. Two very different cars.

Reply to
Grunff

"Everett try MTL REDLINE

Reply to