'88 900i *v: which battery (is size important?)

She's dead, Jim.

Your car is a non turbo. This gives you a fair bit of leeway - so much that most batteries with the correct terminals (conical posts) and with the posts in the correct order will fit.

But the correct one for your car is an 071 (this is a UK battery ref, I don't think it's used in other countries). Just go to any motor factor (or even Halfords - their batteries aren't bad, but are way overpriced) and ask for an 071.

I really hope not ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

I need to buy a new one (like you said); I been charging mine for a week, and its got a nice 10V in it now, but no power ?!?!

current one is Varta 562 14 article number:         562 014 042 3100 product line:           PKW Standard voltage:                12 Battery Capacity:       62Ah Cold Cranking Current:  420 length 266 width 162 height 209 hold down (?) B00 terminal layout 1 terminal type 1

Do need to worry about all these ? Will the mounting support a bigger size ?

Its gonna take a while (for me) to get this right I think. thanks, tom

Reply to
tom

A discharged but otherwise healthy battery will be charged overnight to 13 V

10 V after a week qualifies as Not Healthy - buy a new one.

------ MH

Reply to
MH

Goddammit tom - it's a battery - it costs the same as a full tank of petrol. Just buy a new one, and replace it every 3 years. That's one extra fillup every three years for no more worries about batteries!

Don't worry too much about CCA (cold cranking amps) - anything over 450 is fine. I really think you need to find yourself a good motor factor. These batteries are much cheaper than that - I paid £35 for one not very long ago (heavy duty with 3 year warranty).

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reply to
Grunff

By recycling it into a new battery, drop it off at a 'car factor' and buy a new one.

I keep the batteries in my unused SAABs in winter storage connected to a 'trickle charger', that will keep them charged and ready to go when spring is back. Also, I only have two batteries for 4 SAABs. Only my wife and myself drive them so there can only be a max of two of them on the road at the same time.

----- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

Only brain stem dead - still showing voltage on a ventilator. Found a nice site:

"6. HOW CAN I REVIVE A SULFATED BATTERY?" This seems the sort of stuff that is useful to know (so I wonder): a) it would be interesting to try and desulfate the one I have (assuming thats the problem); and b) for what ever battry we have - which is left a long time - whats the best way to keep it healthy for long periods of inactivity.

Was in Halfords today: they had a "HB0712" £54.99, 590 CCAmps, 130 RCM, and a "HCB013" £??.?? 550 CCAmps, 105 RCM Their book didnt have an entry for my car but these two were close. So the 071 must be close, but I missed it.

The local car store said £59.90 for a 650 CCA.

I'm interested, as well as desperate, so it takes me longer - doh.

thanks tom

Reply to
tom

That's ok - when my microwave got rusty I bought a new one, but kept the old one for microwaving lit candles. (if this doesn't make sense, microwave a lit candle; you'll see what I mean)

Reply to
Grunff

[...]

^^^^^^^^ I've got that one from Halfords in my 9000, with Calcium Technology, 4 years Guarantee.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

ok ok ok ok I'll get one, but I'm gonna keep the old one and experiment upon it for desulphation - just for manic fun you understand

Reply to
tom