Mechanical antenna broken - suggestions?

The mechanical antenna on my saab 9000cde no longer works (though it does make a sound like it's trying to work). Any suggestions on where to get this part, what it should cost, etc? I doubt its fixable.

Reply to
ngwcaa

You mean electric antenna? Probably the plastic toothed wire that pushes the antenna up and pulls it down is broken.

SAAB dealer if it is the original SAAB antenna, otherwise buy a new, non OEM one at any car parts shop.

I think you can buy electric antennas for about 10 euro, they all work in a similar way.

I doubt that too, if it is the plastic wire.

--------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

If it's making clonking noises as well as whirring noises then it's probably a bent mast. I got a price on a new mast for my 9-3 a couple of months ago - it was around GBP25.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It's only a whirring sound. Perhaps I don't need a whole new motor.

Reply to
ngwcaa

There's a few things it could be, but if the motor is still running, then a new mast will probably fix the problem and you won't need a new motor. The plastic rack cable that MH suggested is part of the mast too.

The easiest thing is to take off the mast and see if it looks ok. I'm not sure about the 9000, but on my 9-3, it can be taken off from above

- you just undo the big nut, turn on the radio and pull hard on the mast as it tries to extend.

Having said all that, a whole new aftermarket aerial will be cheaper than just the mast for the Saab one, but it'll be a lot more trouble to fit.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Reply to
Hatchback

New mast for electric antenna can be purchased at eEuroparts.

Mike

Reply to
MJK