Mud Flaps

I have a US '97 900.

Why are the mud flaps located along the middle of each side of the car as opposed to being near the tires?

I'm tired of going over speed bumps and high curbs and hearing scraping noises!

Reply to
Mike Loiterman

Hi Mike,

Here's the best explanation I've found ;)

Hans

Reply to
Hans L

That's great! Can you send us the rest of that manual? How about a "Serious Money" message flashing when the AC stops working or the clutch fails??? The first time I got the chime for the low windshield washer fluid, I was thinking someone should write something like this!

I think you can buy mud flaps for behind the wheels. I've always assumed (or maybe someone told me) that the amidships ones aren't really mud-flaps, they are the result of a bunch of engineers playing around in a wind tunnel. I had asked on a forum why my car (1998 900S) didn't have them and the answer was... it did, most people remove them because of reasons like you suggest.

-meld

Hans L wrote:

meld_b

That picture is total nonsense, of course. The flaps actually deploy upon entering take off mode. They trim during flight and will re-deploy when entering landing mode *or* upon display of the "please land" minimal DTE mode.

Reply to
- Bob -

Hey, somebody changed it to a NG 900!

Also see page 196 of that same manual;

---------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

The other :-) explanation is that the mud flaps are there to protect the mounting/pivoting point of the trailing arms of the rear suspension. In other words, right after the mad flaps is what holds your rear axle in place.

Regards Charles

PS. IF you car is ever on a ramp have a look underneath and you'll see the reason. Other cars don't have them because they do not originate from airplanes.

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Keeps the crud out of your rear suspension.

Beats having the important bits crud up / rust out...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Depends on the market, Bob. Some of 'em don't have the control mechanism and are deployed full-time. Not optimal, but better than nothing of course.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The mechanism is there, it's just not wired into the control circuit and the ECU isn't programmed for it. All you have to do is jumper pin 14 to pin 27 on connecter A32 and then have the dealer program it with the Tech II for auto flap mode.

Bob

Reply to
- Bob -

Guess they should have included mud flaps in front of the front fender wells as well.... ;-)

Reply to
saabturbo

nonesense

Reply to
nospam

I think the word you're searching for is "humorous". As plenty of other folks have given the correct answer (deflects crap from getting into the rear suspension), why take exception to what is, after all, a funny parody?

Reply to
Dave Hinz