Mk1 Focus - Hum/Drone from rear

Hello All

A bit of advice please.

Yesterday I started hearing a kind of Hum coming from the rear of my Focus (2000 model, 110K miles). It sounds more like it's coming from the right hand wheel. It is speed related, being loudest at 50 and the noise changes when I corner. I goes much quieter when I turn left and therefore load the right hand side.

I'm assuming that it's a noisy wheel bearing, whould that be a good start? Also, as I don't have means to press bearings in and out I'd get a local garage to do it. That being the case, what ballpark figure should I be looking at? I'm located near March in Cambridgeshire.

Thanks All

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

Knock the bearing cups out with a pin punch (3/8"Diameter) you should find a couple of recesses in the hub to accommodate the punch, run your fingers around the and feel them.(both sides). Tap the bearing cups in the same way with the punch. Startand get them square and litle taps working your way around should be sufficient. -- A press is not necessary.

Reply to
Rob

Bearing kit is 25UKP for non-OEM, 50UKP for a genuine one. Autodata list it as 0.80 hours.

Guessing wildly - 80UKP from an indy, 140UKP from a dealer?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Just another thing you can use the old cup to hit the new cup in but make sure you use it in the same orientation so you can access the bottom "lip" to remove it when and if it gets stuck.

Reply to
Rob

Wheel bearing in all probability.

The bearing is a one piece item retained with a circlip (rather redundant in this case) (not two separate bearings and there are no recesses to knock it out with) A press is vital to change these, they are pressed in with a lot of force, and the force needed to remove them would need a sledge hammer, believe me, I have tried :) The total job should be less than a hundred quid at an independent. While it is apart it would be worth getting the wheel cylinders checked for leakage and replaced if any leak is visible, possibly plus brake shoes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thank you all for the quick responses, much appreciated!

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale
[...]

Are you thinking of Escort rear hubs, by any chance?

The Focus uses a totally different bearing arrangement.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep!

Reply to
Rob

Thus spake Steven Langdale ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Before going for replacement hub or wheel bearings, check your tyre tread depth. I had the same symptoms on my Astra a couple of years ago, thought it was the bearings so had the hub replaced (it was a sealed hub) but the noise was still there. The tyre tread depth was close to legal minimum; I had the tyre(s) replaced and the noise vanished. So, I'd wasted good money on an unnecessary replacement hub.

Reply to
A.Clews