Saab 9-5 ignition cassette has failed again

The ignition cassette in my 2000 Saab 9-5 has failed for a second time. When the ignition cassette failed the first time GM insisted that my car was not covered by the government recall.

Any chance I can get GM to pay for the replace of the ignition cassette for the second or third time?

Reply to
anonymous

I don't know where you live but some countries have laws that insist that 'goods be fit for purpose' as in the UK for example. Multiple failures of routine non-service parts suggests they aren't and in the UK I would contact Trading Standards.

I suspect this is down to GM's lowering of Saab build quality.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I live in California, USA.

Concerning 'goods be fit for purpose': my transmission linkage has failed in the same way twice and my sun roof has failed in the same manner three times. I took my car in to get a brake fluid leak fixed five times.

The ignition cassette is different because it is safety related and there has been a government ordered recall. (at least for some models.) Someone has recommended a complaint to NHTSA.

Reply to
anonymous

Hot temperatures do seem to play a part in killing DI cassettes.

That's GM for you. I had minimal bother with my 9000s concerning anything.

Can't hurt. You'll need the VIN to see if it should have been recalled before.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How many miles did you get out of it?

Reply to
johannes

I don;t know about that. I'm on the East Coast of the USA and DI failures are very common here too. I think the issue is the temps on top of the engine baking the components. I know of several cars with DI type systems and most all have issues with these components (Saab, Nissan, Audi, BMW).

Reply to
me

I guess I was just lucky then, although UK temps tend not to be as extreme as yours.

One thing for sure ( speaking as an electronics consultant ) it could be fixed very easily by suitable component ratings. Silicon semiconductors will tolerate up to 200C working temp.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's the coils which get shaken about. Eventually the chafing and heat will short circuit some windings. I took mine apart and one coil was clearly burned. You can even diagnose a failed DI by sniffing around it. It has a very characteristic smell. But expect it to last 60k miles or more.

Reply to
johannes

"anonymous" skrev i meddelelsen news:5euLl.16006$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com...

Which type of sparkplugs do you use - brand and model? Using the wrong kind can fry a DI-cassette in no time...

Isn't there any new sparepart warranty?

Reply to
Henrik B.

try going to elkparts.com