Di Cassette

Hi

Can any one please tell me what are the symptoms of the di cassette failing, is there an intermittent element to the failure initially?

Tia

Reply to
David Griffith

Not with mine. The car ran great right up to the failure.

- Rob

Reply to
Rob Malkin

I can only tell you what happened in my case. It only happened once; my

93' 9000 CSE LPT 104k miles is on the second DI, so it's not a big deal. The symptoms went over a period of two weeks or so. The engine would sometimes refuse to start, but OK after waiting 5 minutes. The engine finally lost power on a dual carriage way incline, so I couldn't push it out of the way. It was quite scary. The AA man correctly diagnosed the dead DI, although I didn't believe him at the time. He demonstrated the absence of sparks by dismounting the DI & leaning it on the block while turning the starter.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Mine started missing under heavy acceleration. Never did die, but the missing just started getting worse. The day I took it to the dealer to get it fixed I'll bet that I wouldn't have gotten home.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

In a former Saab, a 92 9k, I experienced missing, at first under load, but i am given to understand that it is more frequent to totally fail without warning. If anyone has an explanation it would be interesting.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

My guess is it has solid state power components, the usual failure mode of a power transistor is for it to short, which will often cause a catastrophic failure without warning.

Reply to
James Sweet

From what I hear, yes. If you're asking this for the obvious reason, now would be a good time to get one on order, keep it in the trunk with the tool you need to install it, and wait for the inevitable. Or, replace it now and keep your suspect one as a "limp-home spare".

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

David, With a BT Openworld account I guess you are in the UK. If so, then you might like to consider these guys.

guess their prices are better than you will get from a main dealer, thoughit's probably best to check first.Adrian (SAABurger)

Reply to
SAABurger