Nova Scotia Report - 1993 aero TCS

Salutations:

As many of the regular suspects will know I have recently picked up a 1993 aero 5 speed with a newly installed TCS (with cut switch). Living in Halifax Nova Scotia Canada the first Snow/Slush storm has arrived today and I am pleased to say that despite having put off switching over from the summer Toyo rain slicks - I was able to show off the brand a bit.

The TCS system actually works as advertised (!!) and described at length in the manual - better at slightly higher speeds interestingly - and in reverse very surprisingly. And no, apparently we can not keep running the Toyo's into the winter around here, excellent summer rain tire though they might be.

The ABS system is in top shape too and despite this - it was still lumpy and required a real push to properly activate and even then it is more alarming than comforting in traffic. The car windows all fog over immediately upon start up like the last 9000 I owned, despite the fact this one doesn't leak. I fear this may be 'just the way it is'. I can program the ACC unit to kick on the rear door window vents when it starts for whatever that's worth. Might as well leave it all on defrost for the next couple of months or so I fear.

Once I got the hang of the TCS/ABS and admittedly showing off a little bit, I ran in up a fairly long and very icy hill at about 35kmh - passing a Mercedes C, a VW Passat, a Chrysler Mini Van and a Honda Prelude - all in the shoulder gravel struggling for grip - and all with better looking tires.

Slowing down slightly passing the Mercedes - it wound down to a stop. Hit the TCS cut out to get it moving, cocked and spun the tires until it was accelerating - then switched the TCS back in and sailed off.

Heading back, I was less impressed with the ABS system. Basically it starts to buck in early and requires a couple of wheel rotations to get the logic working. A very alarming 6 feet as it feels like the brakes have gone out while its processor (like what 4mhz?) works it out. Then while it does slow you down - it doesn't allow lock up under 10kmh - and say what you may - I don't like the idea of not being able to lock up the wheels under 10kmh at all. It's handy in low speed slippery high traffic flow situations when you need to build a good bank of slush up against hard cocked wheels to bring the beast to a *complete stop*.

Anyway - I picked up a set of these new fangled Dunlop 'Graspic' studless at a fairly reasonable $96 (about 35 quid?) per shoe this afternoon on the way back. My expectation is that the TCS should work better at lower speeds and will report in on how, if at all, it improves the ABS system.

Cheers and happy winter motoring - off to Martin's for balancing and fitment Monday!

Reply to
Dexter J

Congrats on the successful field testing. These Saabs continue to amaze me with their engineering just about every day! My '89 9000T turned

270,000 kms this weekend on a 1,200 km run to Edmonton from Saskatoon and back. Runs like a train with lots of power as required and great space for those long hauls across the prairies. But then, I'm preaching to the converted. [Having an early 9000, I'm glad not to have the TCS, though!]

Good luck on the digging out from the snow storm. We're having a great November (+10C) today -- but in true Canadian fashion, I know we're eventually going to pay for this run of good weather.

Cheers, Rod.

Reply to
Rodney Orr