OT: Test Hamster Request..

Salutations:

I've made some refinements to my e-transmitter(tm) here so as to provide a greater range of start tunes when a fan hits one of the launch buttons - but - this might be at a bit of server penalty.

Sooo - I was wondering if I could impose on the faithful A.A.S. test hamsters hit the site over the next little while and let me know if the stream starts to buffer out or if it takes any extra time to launch streams. RealAudio G2 or better required - but no subscription needed.

No need to be in touch if you don't want to, I can reverse out if the logs start to show any particular anomalies - but I would probably sleep better knowing it was working as indicated here instead of waiting for the late night crowd to 'alert' me as to difficulties.. :/ ..

If you've been in today or yesterday - you'll need to clear your cache first..

I'm going to have to make another change shortly in regards to the way the site itself is structured to allow for the Eolas patent decision - nothing serious - but I'm afraid I'll have to put the darned javascript back in and would like to have this final randomizer tweak in place and working before I start on that pickle.

Thank you and regards to all the ships at sea.. :) ..

Reply to
Dexter J

Plays fine here in then UK at 11.37AM BST.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thank you kindly brother meatball - appreciate the time stamp and zone..

Reply to
Dexter J

Would love to help DJ, but I just don't have the bandwidth for streaming - it's just too painful on isdn.

Reply to
Grunff

You got it, my friend. Will check it out.

Pete Brown

Reply to
Pete Brown

Greetings.

Further to my last....

Switched on, tuned in and dropped out, man.

Nice sound curtain. Good stereo separation. Excellent frequency range. Nearly all tracks on all four buttons clear with very little colouring. Volume on some tracks low.

For your info, I use JBL Pro speakers and a SB Audigy 2 Platinum card.

ADSL @ circa 500 bandwidth (can never remember the precise rating).

Keep up the good work, brother.

Pete Brown UK (Northern Ireland)

1827 hrs GMT
Reply to
Pete Brown

Pete Brown here again

I forgot to mention very little delay in getting music. I waited 1 - 2 seconds from clicking the buttons to getting sound. Pete.

Reply to
Pete Brown

Thank you kindly brother Pete - that's good to know (it's working normally) and I appreciate the detail.

Reply to
Dexter J

Please assure me that 'dropped out' means you - not the stream. I'm not up on your latest hepcat Irish lingo you know.. :/ ..

A lot of the playbank is from my basement collection of LP's - which has alternatively held up pizza(s), a Kawi Z1R, a television, several bins of baby clothes, two tricycles, four bicycles and most recently, a 16.5 steel GMC motorhome rim - which went a long way towards flattening them out again

- but did little to improve the trenches and scratches honestly earned over the years.. :) ..

I try to make some time to clean up the pops before I put them on and the cost is that some tunes are louder than others. If Radio Free Dexterdyne ever turns into a money maker - I'll go back and properly fix the weak ones

- until then, sorry for the variance tune to tune.. As long as it's not doing the weird RealAudio 'bottom of the well' thing during a particular tune - in which there is a problem.

Actually, and this is going to sound kinda dumb I suppose, but one of the things I really enjoy about running my test server is the surprising number of overseas fans it's picked up. I have a fan finishing up a reef study in the Solomon Islands who tunes in on effective 56k satellite when he's uploading to base.

Anyway - as I'm likely never going to have the kinda scratch it takes to get to some place cool like the South Pacific (or even Ireland) - it's a real treat for me to scan the logs and see whose found me and from where and what they are into.

Back to the salt mine - thx again for the feedback (nice system and good bandwidth for BT I gather). Cheers.

Reply to
Dexter J

In article , snipped-for-privacy@lamelamelame.org spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

No probs. At home today, but that was over the work fast network yesterday. Nice easy choice of music.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Salutations:

Well - things are looking good here so far..

The 'Golden Pellet' award goes to brother J Harris/MH for finding and reporting a very sour Flash Actionscript object - but with my great thanks to everyone else who made the time to participate and provide feedback. I had no idea how far flung this NG actually is..

In answer to several questions - my prototype site is always online and you are welcome back anytime you want - there is no need to stay at the site or even keep your browser open once a stream is launched - and I always appreciate any feedback or suggestions if they come to mind..

I operate my hobby bitcaster to test and help develop open source new media server technology and thusly, meet Canadian DCMA/CRTC regulations in this regard - there are no plans to change the site or the stream to include advertising or demand subscriptions. It's a .org and I'm proud of that.

On the other hand - the playlist and bandwidth is funded out of my own pocket so the actual playbank only gets updated as I have extra cash and time..

I do not support or offer 'downloading' or 'sharing' personally and use .rm codex specifically to discourage music pirating. I figure that's a fair trade - if you are getting bored, try the site search engine and kick up something you don't recognize. It belts out the good stuff pretty quick and doesn't suck up all your bandwidth doing it.

On a more personal note - I also set up Radio Free Dexterdyne for the 'love of good tunes' and if you hear something you like in the stream - I heartily recommend you head down to your local record store to see if there is anything else from that Artist you like. Many of the recent remasters of the old stuff and all the new stuff I have online are exceptional in terms of audio quality on CD and well worth a listen at your fav record shop.

You know - actually voting with our wallets and buying *better* music just might get the message through that there is only so much junk any industry can foist on the buying public before before everyone starts to give up.

Thanks again - I have to say that I think this is the best NG on the net..

-

J Dexter - webmaster -

tunes - no cookies no subscription no weather no ads no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day Louis Prima Keely Smith - Hey Boy Hey Girl

Dexter J

In article , snipped-for-privacy@lamelamelame.org spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

A site I always used to listen to was dhbit.ca.

"Does Humour belong in technology", a couple of tech heads who did a weekly sunday broadcast using icecast, with a chatroom alongside it. they don't broadcast now, but the show was very funny, and it had a big world wide audience.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hey, Dexter J

Not the stream, man............

Doctor Timothy Leary said "Switch on, tune in and drop out" when LSD and the hippy culture began in the Sixties in the good old US of A!

I grew up in the Sixties, thought that Peace and Love was the answer to the ills of the World until the dream died after Woodstock. If you're going to San Fransico make sure you've flowers in your hair. and all that! Those were the days when I had hair :)

Seriously, JD, I love music. I will tune in regularly to your radio channel.

Best wishes.

Reply to
Pete Brown

Thank you for letting me know brother pete - I figured as much.. I grew up in Montreal in the 60/70's - but you have to be careful through a test hamster with the details..

I'm practising the 'comb over and weave' on the grape wine across my deck too - I put it down to florescent lights myself.. :) ..

You are welcome in anytime - I had to hit the big red button for a couple of seconds earlier as I just got a very alarming and apparently new worm probe out of east germany and needed to update the security routines to accommodate it. It's like code red - but for Apache servers and may not be OS specific..

I submitted it to cert (a 12 page form!) and kicked it over to a contact of mine at the Win Apache project to see what they could make of it..

Hey - I wonder if I can name it if I report it first?

Reply to
Dexter J

I hear what you say, Dexter J. Put it down to the lighting. LOL.

If worms were like comets or hurricanes I reckon the worm should be named after yourself.

Just say it was so...............what would you call the worm?

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Pete Brown

Lord no - you don't want any exploit named after yourself and I should be very clear it may be nothing other than script kiddies rattling doors. But

- it's something new and it targeted Apache with these:

/error/%5c%2e%2e%5clogs%5cinstall.log

and

/error/%5c%2e%2e%5cconf%5chttpd.conf

It first hit here from dtag.de/mashock/t-dialin.net 80.142.110.85 - so if I had any say at all - I'd probably call it:

.. 'detag.de.mashock' - or simply - the 'mashock' exploit..

However - if turns out to actually be something, you know, other than someone rattling server doors - whoever dreamt it up will take dis-honour as part of the source code and viral load.

No word from anyone in authority - however someone at alt.apache.configuration has kindly tested what little I have against a his production *nix Apache and it hasn't breached his system (with the proviso that he isn't using an OEM configuration)..

Interesting times brother Pete.. Interesting times..

Reply to
Dexter J

Anything further on the worm "dashock". I have kept the IIP details you gave me in the last post ("last post" hahahaha) just in case my firewall logs any assault.

Listened a bit more to Radio Free Dexterdyne...........quite an interesting series of tracks. I have noticed some...the older recorded stuff... to not have the same broad spectrum of frequencies as some of the newer (probably digital recordings) stuff. Anything I have listened to is very good entertainment. Oh incidentally I listen to all my music flat (no treble or bass tone controls). This is the same whether I listen on my PC or my main hifi system.

Just for the record I have a Denon AVR 3803 digital amp/receiver (9 months old), a Pioneer DV525 DVD player (4 years old), a JVC HR-S6855 Super VHS VCR (one year old), a Sky digital satellite system (fixed dish) (two years old) and a Sony 32" flat panel TV (six months old). Hoping to change the DVD player to a Denon DVD 2900 this Christmas. Happy with my VCR and my Sky system which is capable of receiving Dolby Digital sound TXs. I use Paradigm (yes, the Canadian maker) Spirit speakers for my main fronts with a JPW centre, a Mission sub and a pair of Wharfedale floor standers for my main rears.

Hoping to upgrade my front centre to a Paradigm CC350 and use the JPW as a new rear centre (7.1 channel sound) and I may change the sub to a Paradigm. I just love the Paradigm stuff. The front mains give off a really sexy and quite involving sound that has been enhanced even further by the AVR 3803. My greatest ever hifi purchase.

So you see I take my music and home entertainment seriously, my friend.

Best wishes

Pete

Reply to
Pete Brown

Nope - I recreated on a backup machine I keep here, made a couple of quick additions and changes to the server and locked everything down based on the test and went back to work. Apache for windows rules!.

I was asking around in another relevant NG if anyone else with a stock Apache set-up could recreate - no one has been able to - but no one with a stock apache set-up replied. My take now is that it's a door rattler or some sort a test run as it's only turning up in a couple of open logs at this point.

I turned it into cert - passed it along to apache.org alerted some relevant NG and passed it around to a couple of M&E clients of mine with a config update and that's about all I have time to do right now. No one had seen it come by their shops yet - but applied the update and got back to their days jobs as well.

I'm getting several new hits (IP's I've never seen before) based on the search criteria - so I think a few other folks are starting to see it in their logs too. And perhaps interestingly - a fast wave of spam bounced off the mailserver shielding with the the IP range of the original (t-dialin) buried in the middle about 3 hours later.

Frankly - like I said - it may be nothing serious at all. But given it exposed httpd.conf on Apache, it caught my attention in short order..

Yes - that makes perfect sense. What you aren't hearing is the trenching and most of the really bad pops as I've masked and filtered on the LP stuff before converting to RealAudio codex. I don't have the extra scratch to replace all my albums - but have been noticing several excellent remasters coming out lately if you hear a tune you like and you do.

If I spent the time I could probably fix up my stuff to flatten off the volume spread - but as my focus is actually server testing and the stream is really just a way to load up the server - I have been focusing efforts on the server rather than the output. As long as the stream doesn't buffer out or go hollow in the middle of a particular tune - the server is working as designed.

Like I said - you outlined an excellent system when you replied. I run older gear myself - I have some Revox studio stuff with several classic sony bits and pieces supporting it. While not nearly as advanced as your own system - I picked it up before the children came along on the premise that I needed stuff that would last while family funds were 'repurposed'. So far so good.. :) ..

Anyway - back to work again - nice to hear from you brother Pete and thanks again for the feedback..

I gather Napster is going to be revived using the same listen - but no download - model I have had in place here. I think it's going to be subscription plan, but if the frequency range is going to be a lot better it might be worth it for the serious audiophile like yourself.

Anyway - personal moment for the day over - back to work..

Cheers..

Reply to
Dexter J