Saabvideos.com Bandwidth statistic (500Gigs in 15 days)

Grunff, others;

Here is the stats for Saabvideos.com

Overall, the site has gotten through about 500Gigs in 15 days.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Wow, that's quite a bit. We limit each server to no more than 200G a month, because much more than that and you're impacting server performance.

If I was selling that 500G commercially, I would charge around £8000pa for it.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff,=20

What is =A38000pa ? $8.00 USD?

We really need a good unlimited bandwidth server and fast.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

500g suggests you need to pay much closer attention to your logs - I'll bet you have someone linking your vid collection through their site (hello apnic) or are being slurped (not as pleasant as it sounds) for the kicks.

As to developing cost effective commercial multi-media servers - and please excuse the shameless self promotion here - that is actually what dexterdyne thin servers are all about.

I ran into the same problems about 4 years ago and set up our prototype to research feeding binary dataforms directly from your own studio bandwidth/desktop workstation. Personally, I use RealMedia cores - but it pushes pretty much any kind of binary dataform out the door as needed. Just releasing Mark III this week as a matter of fact.

Here in Canada - you can buy a permanent IP and supporting line for about $150.00(CD) a month. Once up and running - all you have to do is to tune the server to limit outbound streams so as not to overload your pipe.

I'm afraid that I've never set one up in the Mother country and unless the site is a going concern, it probably isn't worth my per diem to fly me over. But I would encourage you to have a close look at win32_apache and a permanent IP/line if you intend to continue with your site. If nothing else - it will provide the kind .conf control you need to keep the rogues at bay.

There is the dynamic-ip option, but most ISP services have put a stop to that at their network heads via proxy and you are pretty much invisible to the search engines.

Anyway - first things first. Time to get the raw logs - not the cutie-pie online ones your host provides - but the raw log cores and start to look into mod-rewrite with .htaccess until you can get it on your own pipe.

Cheers and good luck.

Reply to
Dexter J

Dexter,

I already spent enough on getting the videos, etc.

I don't have money to spend monthly. Everyone who has watched these videos from my site has spent nothing, so if everyone can pool their money together, then we'll get somewhere.

Otherwise, we need a FREE alternative here.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Salutations:

Understand entirely - I don't charge for/shil adverts for my streams either.

So again - you need to spend some time with your logs to confirm that you are not being pirated and to prevent it from happening in the future. Then, I guess, you probably want to look into dynamic-IP to see if you can feed the actual vid's from a dy-ip while still front ending the site from your host. It's sometimes choppy - but it might work depending on how your ISP is set up.

Again, have a close peak at Apache server and see if it gets you anywhere. You run an Ok site - but growth is a pwob. It's worth the time to try and figure this out.

Cheers and good luck.

Reply to
Dexter J

How about you just have a few "tasters" on the site, and sell the rest on DVD's?

Sorry, it's the consultant coming out in me... Al

Reply to
Al

Al,

It would be illegal for me to sell the movies, I never made then myself.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

He doesn't own the content he's "sharing" in the first place, Al.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Lol. No, that'd be around 20000 USD per annum. You could probably buy the same kind of hosting in the US for around 8000 USD per annum.

Once again, there's no such thing as 'unlimited bandwidth'.

Reply to
Grunff

Dave,

Exactly.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Grunff,

Thanks, but I did not make any money off of this ongoing project, nor do I = plan to.

How on earth would I be wanting to spend any $$ to have it hosted ???

I spent money in shipping/receiving the videos though. Couldn't anyone help= ???

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

....'ang on....is this an Saab newsgroup or an IT one......or what...?

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Nice thing about subject lines, is if you read them, you can decide what threads to not read.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

This is a SAAB Newsgroup, I guess that guy was lost.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Pidgeonpost,

This is a SAAB Newsgroup, I guess you are lost.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Ryan, I asked this in the other thread also, just want to make sure you see the suggestion. Ryan, I know you don't think bittorrent would work so weill, but what about some kind of video ring setup. Say, I agree to host 2 or 3 gigs of the videos, and have a link to the next/previous site in the ring, a circular ring? If you could get enough volunteers, it would work, without the user needing any special skills or software. Ted

Reply to
saabyurk

Ryan, After thinking a bit, It wouldn't have to be a circular ring. Your video web page could have a page just like now, but each thumbnail could have a link to the site hosting that video. Maybe even, each video could be hosted at multiple sites, and the user could select a site to download from. Your bandwidth would be greatly reduced. Ted

Reply to
saabyurk

Ted,

Say 3 Gigs each, that would require about close to 12 participants to host such files, then I would have to link to each of their sites.

The thing is, if someone's site is down, whatever videos those are cannot be downloaded.

It seems extremely more "involved".

I'm not trying to not accept an alternative, but it would be ideal for something more simple. Hmm..

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

You haven't heard of Pounds Sterling ? aka GBP symbol £. The currency used in the UK.

pa means 'per annum'. the cost for one year.

£8000 =~ USD 14,000

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear