c900 Alternator

Ye gods!

Is there an easy way to get this off?

The bottom alternator bracket on Sven's broken, and the alternator's flapping about.

I've just "obtained"/scrounged a replacement off the nice people at Savage Saab in Wycombe, and - boy, was it fun...

The bolt going through the alternator is about twice as long as the space between the back of the bracket and the bulkhead. To get the three allen bolts holding the bracket onto the block, the alternator realistically has to come off (unless, of course, you *are* that double-jointed ET-lookalike?)

- which it will only do with severe application of brute force and ignorance, to angle the alternator so the front comes clear of the bracket.

Or is it just the world's most reliable alternator?

Reply to
Adrian

You spotted the little Swedish logic puzzle...

Depends how patient you're feeling. If feeling very patient indeed, take it slowly and remove the allen bolts. If not, get the angle grinder out and cut the bolt. Replace from the other side ;-)

They're actually pretty good, are you sure it's not just the brush pack?

Reply to
Grunff

I thought that sort of "test" was limited to the French. At least, though, you could *see* the problem here, and weren't doing it all by fingertip!

Fairly sure. I needed the bracket - the one on Sven's broken at the rear bolt hole, so the alternator's flapping...

Reply to
Adrian