potential 9-3 convertible buyer (ex-Volvo) wanting tips

Hi,

We're are thinking of buying a 9-3 convertible (SE). I have no experience with Saabs having been a Volvo 960 driver for as long as I can remember.

I know my Volvo's inside out but not so my Saabs. I would like to know what specifically to look out for with the 9-3 convertible. Also, it's a 2000 model New Zealand new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Robert

Reply to
Robert van Deventer

All I have is good news for you. :-) Great car, fun to drive. Well insulated for winter use. By 2000, the NG900/9~3 was a very mature model. Most all of the glitches from the NG900/9~3 had been worked out. I know of *no* specific defects or issues with the 2000 SE.

You don't say how many miles/km, so here's a couple of general pointers: Check the top, operate it open to close several times. Make sure everything is smooth.

Drive it at speed, feel for vibration at

55+mph. There are many possibilities here but problems are unlikely. Still, it's nice to get the previous owner to pay for it if work such as wheel balancing if it is needed.

Power should be smooth throughout the range... the turbo is a little slow off the line, but should build quickly as you accelerate. ON the highway it should positively surge above 3K RPM. Check for a big grin - if you're grinning wildly after a go with the throttle, it's working correctly.

The tranny should be smooth and shift comfortably, although Saab's tranny is not the worlds tightest (try a Honda and drool). Take a look under the tranny/engine/driveshaft area and look for oil leaks.

Make sure all the accessories work, That includes seat heaters if you have them, the SID (digital dash display), the heater controls (I assume your SE will have climate control). Check the radio on all bands, the cd-changer. Check the headlights and foglights. Operate the power windows and door locks. Again, no known problems. Some folks have reported some lines dropping off the SID - 2001 and later I think. There are also some issues with the *manual* heater controls getting stiff but I think your SE will have pushbutton/climate control.

There's nothing like a Saab convertible on the right day. Top down, wind in your hair (what remains for some of us), take a nice drive. I actually look for places to go drive. Yesterday I went to buy a new T.V. with the 'vert - I knew it would barely fit, but it was just too nice a summer day to leave the 'vert home.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I have a 2002 9-3 SE Convertible, and I doubt there are many differences between the different years at that stage in the 9-3's lifecycle.

I am very happy with the car, very solid real-world performance, fun and great every day practicality that never makes you regret owning a convertible (which I have felt with previous cars, being a convertible fan).

Silly stuff to watch out for (really asolutely nothing major, most of these are nit-picks):

  • Squeaks and rattles, but keep i mind every convertibe will develop them occasionally, and that keeping some silicone lubricant in the garage fixes most of them in an instant. This might very well be the single most irritating issue for those unaquainted with convertibles.
  • Antenna mast likes to get stuck. Makes me wonder whether an aftermarket little antenna (like the one they use for Onstar on the other side) is an alternative without affecting very good radio reception.
  • I am not sure which model year saw the replacement of he top mechanism with a hidraulic system - the latter seems very reliable, and I'd recommend it, since I have heard the earlier system had its issues.
  • I have the sports package in my car, and (looks aside) think the ride is too harsh for real world conditions - maybe once the shocks wear out some it'll get better, my car only has 12k miles...
  • Engine noise during acceleration more agricultural than competitors' six-pots - whether this is a pro or a con is a mater of taste, I for one like the difference. The car is an amazingly quiet highway cruiser for a convertible. Get the (admittedly shamelessly expensive) wind block, and you can hold normal conversation with the top down while doing 80mph on the highway.

That's about it. The car is an an absolute joy to own.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo