Whats' the difference? 9-3 vs 9-5

I see the newly revised 9-5 here:

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which isfine, but where's thedifference? Given that both cars are about the physicalsamedimensions,and will have very similar output engines, i see littledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least onenoticeabledifferentiation...it'ssize.Given they plan to build next gen 9-3's and 9-5's on the same epsilon2platform, it doesnt sound they are interested in fixing this basicsizequandry.- tex

Reply to
Tex

I see the newly revised 9-5 here:

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which isfine, but where'sthedifference? Given that both cars are about the samephysicaldimensions, and will have very similar output engines, i seelittledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least onenoticeabledifferentiation...it's size.Given they plan to build next gen 9-3'sand 9-5's on the same epsilon2platform, it doesnt sound they are interested infixing this basicsizequandry.- tex- tex

Reply to
Tex

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which isfine, but where'sthedifference? Given that both cars are about the samephysicaldimensions, and will have very similar output engines, i seelittledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least onenoticeabledifferentiation...it's size.Given they plan to build next gen 9-3'sand 9-5's on the same epsilon2platform, it doesnt sound they are interested infixing this basicsizequandry.- tex- tex Troll!

Reply to
Johannes

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which isfine, but where'sthedifference? Given that both cars are about the samephysicaldimensions, and will have very similar output engines, i seelittledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least onenoticeabledifferentiation...it's size.Given they plan to build next gen 9-3'sand 9-5's on the same epsilon2platform, it doesnt sound they are interested infixing this basicsizequandry.- tex- tex>

That long URL does not work.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which isfine, but where'sthedifference? Given that both cars are about the samephysicaldimensions, and will have very similar output engines, i seelittledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least onenoticeabledifferentiation...it's size.Given they plan to build next gen 9-3'sand 9-5's on the same epsilon2platform, it doesnt sound they are interested infixing this basicsizequandry.- tex- tex> >

I think I understands what he means now. Since the 'new' 9-3 has grown, it's closer to the 9-5 in size. However 9-3 is still ~17cm shorter, some people might prefer the compactness of the 9-3. Saab is marketing the cars slightly differently; the 9-3 is the sports salon, while 9-5 is the ultimate comfortable cruiser. The 9-5 came second for comfort in the Auto Express customer survey, only beaten by Volvo S60. All these cars are down in handling, the ranks are 9-3 56, S60 57, 9-5 66, but that is not surprising since the customer survey list includes Porches, Subarus, BMWs, Alfas etc, so being in the middle of the list of 100 cars isn't that bad. My choice would be a 9-5 over the 9-3.

Reply to
Johannes

"Tex" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which > is fine, but where's thedifference? Given that both cars are about the > physical samedimensions,and will have very similar output engines, i see > littledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least The interior picture is wrong. It was posted on the GM Media page, but has now been removed! They will still look quite different inside.

About size: The 9-5 is markably bigger inside.

Reply to
Henrik B.

interior now looks identical to the 9-3, which > > is fine, but where's thedifference? Given that both cars are about the > > physical samedimensions,and will have very similar output engines, i see > > littledifference It seems like the 9-5 should have at least>

Henrik,

I had them correct it and it was confirmed, there was a publication error.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

OK...fair enough.

I will respectfully disagree. I found little difference in interior room. The specs bare that out...

From vehix.com & cars.msn.com:

9-3 / 9-5 overall height: 56.8 / 57in wheelbase: 105.3 / 106.4in overall length: 182.5 / 190 full cargo area: 46 / 33 sq ft overall width: 69 / 70.5

front headroom: 38.9 / 37.1 in rear headroom: 37 / 37 in front legroom: 42.3 / 42.4 in rear legroom: 35.1 / 36.6 in front shoulder room: 56.3 / 56.9 rear shoulder room: 55.1 / 56.5

The 9-5 has dimensional advantages in certain areas and disadvantages in others.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Heehee...sorry about that. My Outlook Express was acting strangely this morning :-)

- tex

Reply to
Tex

OK, you're not a troll.

Reply to
Johannes

I did not think he was a troll. Anything but a troll. Not since I found out that the previous 9-3 and 9-5 were sharing the same floor pan etc. And the current 9-3 will share it with the next 9-5. Well as long as my 9000 lasts me that is well, I don't see me buying any of the newer saabs.

Regards Charles

PS. what is a volvo T5 like?

Reply to
Charles C.

"Charles C." skrev i en meddelelse news:431395f7$0$323$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

No they do not!

NG900/9-3 = Opel Vectra A floor pan.

9-5 = Vectra B floor pan. 9-3 SS = Vectra C floor pan (GM Epsilon platform).

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"Tex" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

No matter what the figures say, I can sit, and fit quite nicely in a 9-5 backseat (I'm 6"3). Whereas in a 9-3 SS, I feel like I have my knees under my chin. Tried one just yesterday.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Henrik,

How are the videos coming along?

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

"Saab Guy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

Uuuhhh you know, slooooowwwwwly..... :o)

Reply to
Henrik B.

Oh, well good luck.

Which ones do you have now?

Have you visited the Saabvideos.com page yet?

It would be nice to see what you can contribute to it.

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

You are absolutely right...the rear legroom in the 9-5 is bigger...1.5in (3.81 cm) bigger. Thankfully, as a primary driver, I didnt really care about the backseat (as it's occupied about 1% of the time for my typical driving and then usually by kids). For me the front head room, leg room and shoulder room were more relevant (I'm also 6'3"):

- tex

Reply to
Tex

As a follow up on this thread...

or ...
It states that the next gen 9-5 will indeed essentially be on the same epsilon 2 platform as the next gen 9-3 however, it will be on an extended wheelbase version of it. Seems like GM was actually doing some thinking ahead of time afterall!

- tex

Reply to
Tex