Question re alarm system

1993 Saab 900S Turbo convertible

This has been driving me nuts for years. If I close the doors and lock them using the squeaker/clicker/keyfob (thereby arming the alarm), then I have to turn the alarm off using the squeaker before I can enter the car. If I enter the car using my key in the door lock - and even if I quickly put my key in the ignition and turn it on - the alarm goes off. And that siren is loud!

That seems dumb. Is there a way to change it so that I can use my key to get into the locked car, without waking up the neighborhood?

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That behavior is by design. When you lock the car with the FOB and set the alarm, it locks the ECU. If someone breaks into the car (similar to your keyed entry, but less friendly) the alarm triggers and the ECU remains locked out. Someone can jump the ignition (again, not too tough) but once the alarm is triggered, the ECU remains locked out and the car will not run.

Why don't you just use the FOB to unlock it? Or, lock it with the key if you don't care about theft.

Reply to
me