Re: 9-5 Gas Mileage? Urgent

highway. This is with 93 octane gas. In the winter time when making short

I'm just having a quirky moment but if the americans call petrol (gasoline) "gas", what do you guys use as a word for Gas? You can't call it gas because gas and liquid are different and you can't use the same word for totally different things!

:)

Reply to
David Taylor

Please don't ever expect logic from the American versions of English!

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:14:27 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com suggested: :> highway. This is with 93 octane gas. In the winter time when making short : : I'm just having a quirky moment but if the americans call petrol : (gasoline) "gas", what do you guys use as a word for Gas? You can't : call it gas because gas and liquid are different and you can't use the : same word for totally different things!

It is easily determined from context.

Reply to
andrewunix

Natural Gas or Propane, depending on which it is, of course.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine, USA

69 Saab Sonett V4

I have to be able to speak British, I have a Triumph Spitfire too! :-)

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, David Taylor at snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com wrote on 16/7/03 9:14 am:

Welcome to the bastard 'english' language! If you have not experienced homonyms and homophones before consider:- The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert. I am sure there are squillions of others. There is a very rich seam to mine, some may even be relevant to SAAB.

Reply to
Bernard Cooney

Really? If I said my car was powered by gas, what would I fill the tank with?

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The private soldier parked his Saab in the general parking place. The general parked his Saab in the private parking place.

He drove his Saab on the parkway and parked it on the driveway.

Distorted language, funny people. :-/

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Both! Here in Holland you'd fill the fueltank with benzine (=petrol) And the gastank with gas (=LPG)

Unless ofcourse you happen to own a diesel!

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

Well - here in Canada as I need propane (or natural gas) - I just ask for them by name.. After that we are all pretty much self serve - so we just have to pick between grades and then find the register amid the snack food displays to pay for it after we've spilled fuel on our shoes..

My GMC 260 has a 403 'bird engine that LOVES the hi-test - but I find mid-grade works best on the 9000T..

Now you don't mean to suggest that in your country people actually provide service to your vehicle as part of your transaction do you?

A lot of folks won't remember it - but there was a time when you could get your oil checked and your windshield washed as a courtesy.. No extra charge.. Sometimes they even had an actual mechanic on staff in case something was amiss.. You sometimes see it in movies from the 60's and

70's..
Reply to
Dexter J

Yes, that was my point! :)

Which would be unfortunate.

Reply to
David Taylor

Remember the moment in "Back To The Future" when our hero arrives in his home town of 1955? In the background is a Caltex (IIRC) filling station. A car pulls in and four (4!) smartly uniformed attendants run out to cater to it's and its driver's needs.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I thought it was Texaco and five attendants. Now you're gonna force me to watch it again.

Same in the 'ol USoA.

I know a guy who used to own a gas/repair station. He wanted to be a mechanic and he sold gas (also) to pay the bills and get customers to come by. He was a Mobil franchise. One day they insisted that he change the station into a mini-mart. He stood fast and refused since he wanted to be in the auto repair business, not the grocery business. Mobil stood firm too. Push came to shove, so he sold the station and got out.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Zot. You may be right. About Texaco; not sure about the number. Whatever, that detail jolted me. Enjoy your research.

(Double-zot. The "it's" should of course have been "its".)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I like this palindrome (in Dutch, sort of);

Baas, neem een racecar, neem een SAAB.

(Boss, take a racecar take a SAAB)

------------------------------------------- MH

Reply to
MH

O, neat tae no! (In Scots, sort of. )

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Actually, it's not really an issue because they don't sell LPG in very many places. Usually though, we call it LPG. We call gasoline "gasoline". But, since that's three syllables, we shorten it to one: "gas". There's no confusion, because there's no alternative.

BTW - the gas has to be turned into a gas before you can burn it. So, in a way, you fill your car with gasoline but it runs on gas.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

1999 9-5se with 2.3L 4cyl engine. I drive a mixture of city and country miles (I work in a downtown area, live in a rural area). Average today was 26.4 MPG.

I drive pretty enthusiastically, and get the numbers as above. Have you measuerd this by actual "gallons in from the pump, miles driven", or are you looking at what the SID tells you? (My number is based on the SID, by the way). I've read here recently that some SIDs might be not all that accurate.

I'd do an actual "gallons in/miles driven" test rather than looking at the SID, if that's not what you've been doing. I can't imagine the wagon being that drastically different because of just being a wagon; it's not that much heavier and the aerodynamics don't *look* all that much worse to my semi-trained eye.

I'm curious - does the wagon handle very similar to the sedan? Also, which engine was in both of them?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
davehinz