rebuilding C900 manual transmissions....

Are there any tip/tricks/etc. relating to rebuilding Saab 5-speed manual transmissions?

The manual transmission under the engine of my 1983 900 GLi donor car is coming out soon (I've dismantled a lot of the engine in-place but now it needs to be lifted out), and I've been told by the person who I bought the car off that it had a problem selecting 5th gear before he stopped driving it.

I've been checking some of the transmission and clutch upgrade/rebuild parts available from places like saabperformanceparts.com and I know that if I went 'the whole hog' I'd be up for a lot of $$$ getting an uprated clutch kit, new flywheel, replacement pinion gear set, short shifter, etc. but just having the engine and transmission removed from the donor car will be a good start.

I'll do some google hunting to find if there are sites covering transmission rebuilding as a specific subject but if anyone knows of some off-hand please let me know. I'd be keen to put links to some of them on the technical library page of my C900 Workshop website at "

". Regards,

Craig.

PS. I've created a gallery page on the site too now. If anyone would like to have their C900-related images featured (I'll be creating tables to index submissions as they come in and are given the green light), please feel free to submit them. There isn't a specific web-form yet - just a link to the contacts page which has the email address I use for mail relating to that site.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

transmission

Before you tear apart the transmission, have you checked out the linkage? That's the most common problem with shifting gears.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not as yet, but that'll be something I check out when planning for removing the engine and transmission from the donor car moves to the point where it's imminent.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick