SAAB 9-5 oil leak

Hi,

A friend is interested to see a 9-5 estate, 2.0lt, LPT (probably). It was first registered in April 2000, and sold by a SAAB dealer before they auction it.

The dealer said the SID has the usual problem (OK, documented), I know about the sludge. Any other known problems I could be missing?

The dealer mentioned a "small oil leak". If it is head gasket I know what to do (walk away) but can I see if it is head gasket? Is there any common failure point for oil to leak from? e.g. gear selector shaft seals ... something else?

TIA Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

90,000 miles.
Reply to
Charles C.

Could very well be the valve cover gasket. Really easy to fix. You'd have to inspect it closely to tell if it's valve cover or head gasket.

Reply to
Fred W

There's a procedure to re-torque the cylinder head bolts to overcome this problem, so it may not be necessary to walk away! I think it leaks from the front right hand corner of the engine (looking from the front of the car).

Re-torque instructions can be found here

Mark

Reply to
flash

Thank you. That one was sold but I might be looking at another one tomorrow. :-)

Reply to
Charles C.